First Time IncubatingTHEY ARE HATCHING!!! PST#47 Early Birds!!!!!!!!!!

bossynbella

Songster
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Iowa
Hello, I put my eggs in my little Giant Still air Incubator on Thursday night at 10:05 my temp had been holding pretty steady for 4 days and the humidity was fine as long as I added water every day.
I added 24 eggs 3 white, 8 brown, and 13 green. 12 from our chickens and 12 from a friend. The next day I added three more at 1:00 Friday.
Here are the eggs
Eggstoincubate.jpg

incubatorjustbeforeaddingeggs.jpg

The incubator
incubatorjustbeforeaddingeggs.jpg

And the Possible Dads
BuckbeakandAsteriaSLcochins9mths.jpg

Buckbeak the SL Cochin rooster we thought was a hen

Romeo-twoinJune.jpg

Romeo our RIR rooster. Our friends rooster Dillon looks almost the same, but is a year younger.

Anakin9mthsold.jpg

Anakin Solo, our Light Brahma Rooster.

Anakin and Romeo are the dominate roosters in our flock. We also have a SS Hamburg Rooster(never seen him do anything) and two bantam roosters and three silky roosters but they seem to stick with the bantams and silkys

Couldn't get any pictures I think I need a better camera But they all looked great except the two double yolkers and I didn't think they would grow. The green ones where hard to see though.

Melissa

Last edited:
Nice pictures--We're supposed to be due on the 18th--I've been having problems stabilizing the temps in my borrowed old LG but I think they're settling. Hope I haven't done any damage--I've been watching it like a hawk around the clock. I bought some Delaware eggs from Miss Shortcake on BYC so I'm super excited--my last attempt at hatching was with my hatchery Delawares and not exactly ideal circumstances--they were killed in a fire so I just scrounged up the eggs from the last days and went for it! But they weren't on breeder feed or anything and I don't think their eggs were very viable. I got about six fertile out of 12 and most quit before 15 days...the last two held out longer but didn't make it. SOOooo I am super excited to try again.

I have a ton of thermometers and a couple hygrometers in there all telling me different things--Twigg on here told me how to calibrate my thermometers so I think I'm holding steady at around 100. Don't wanna mess with it any more if that's as good as I can get..!
tongue.png

Looking forward to a successful hatch--I'll be rooting for us all!

Best

Jen in Montucky

We are due on the 24th about's. I just set some barnyard mutts in my homemade bator and I just bought a LG Still Air. I put Muscovey eggs and Call Duck eggs in there. My temps are flucuating as well. One extreme to the other. I have to mist the eggs to keep my humidity up. Hopefully for a first timer everything will come out alright. I'd be happy if half of them hatched!!
wee.gif

I am placing 35 eggs in my little giant tomorrow afternoon. I bought a turner today the last time I did a hatch it was only 6 so I hand turned them I dont think I want to turn 30 by hand 3 times a day. When I hatched last time in the LG the temp adjustment is very sensitive so be carefull I kept mine in the 100-102 range for the whole incubation a little fluctuation in temp should be fine. With still air incubators up to 102 is fine that is why I try to keep mine right at 100. My last hatch was 100%.

how does your outside temp hold up does it go up and down the LG's are affected by the rooms temp. one other thing and this sounds like maybe your problem you just have to barly bump the stem to get a change when mine goes over 100 i lift the lid just a little till the thormerter reads 100 i sit the lid down and then if the lite is on i bump it down till the light goes off then back till it comes back one then kinda split the difference of the truning some times it dont even seam like it moved at all. I use the ones that came with the bators and place it in the center of the glass (ontop of the eggs) on the left side. I have had some very good results with the LG's. I have 2 going right now one just moved to hatch and one moves to hatche on the 10th. i also use a sportsman and have it full now so hopefuly chicks will start poring very soon. by the way as the truner moves the therometor you will get slight variences on the reading.

Last edited:
my 6 are due to hatch on the 22nd... but they are ducks hehe mut ducks. i put them in on the 23rd in my new bator my hubby made me and 5 have vains!
my temp has also been going up and down and i couldnt find a water wiggler to put my probe in so i just put it a small contaner w/water and sealed the lid. the internal egg temp has been between 96-99.8. my bator has been 100f-115f. but all is going well so far:D

I use an LG also. If it is a still air then you want it to be 102F. If cirrculated then put at the norm. temp of 99.5. Im hatching on march the 13th, 18th, and 20th. Goodluck,
-Jay

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed my LG is in a room that is not far from the thermostat in the house and if the door is left open it kicks the heater on...I've been endeavoring (vainly since the kids keep coming in and out) to keep the door closed so my baseline temp in the room stays around 64.

just hoping for the best at this point! Glad to hear about successful LG hatches--I sometimes feel like I'm using a lunchbox with a curling iron in it!

hmm.png

Jen

Back
Top Bottom