First time raising meat birds - my journey of raising Cornish X in the city

Some thoughts on their fourth day:

They really are growing! In this first picture, you can really see the difference in growth between the CX and Faverolle (dark wings). The CX grow so quick!
signal-2022-09-15-10-58-18-943.jpg

Everyone also seems really healthy. Really happy with the quality of the chicks from Meyer so far. Everyone is starting to feather out, as you can see from their wings.

signal-2022-09-15-10-57-34-459.jpg

signal-2022-09-15-10-56-57-700.jpg
signal-2022-09-15-10-56-41-044.jpg

I was doing some thought about the whole processing thing. My fiance said something along the lines of, "They are so cute. It's too bad I have to murder them in 8 weeks." My mom, who is VERY upset that I am even choosing to raise my own meat, said something like, "It's so sad that these cute chicks will have such a bad ending."

My fiance's word's were more tongue in cheek, but I know my mom is fairly bitter and disappointed at me that we will kill the birds. I keep telling her how they are going to have such a great life with me: fresh feed and water, fresh grass and bugs every day once they are in the tractor, sunlight, the outdoors, etc. (A lot of stuff the factory-raised chickens she eats from the grocery store do not get to experience) All up until that one bad moment. And that moment I assured her would be as quick, humane, and painless as possible. And not a single part of their body will be wasted. I will use or eat all of it because I have that much respect for these animals.

But that got me thinking even further. About a month and a half ago I had one of my "rescue" Golden Comet layers fall ill. I believe she had salpingitis, some major inflammation of her abdomen, and possibly other health issues too. Issues common in those high production layers, which I did not know as she was my first chicken and I got her as a full grown bird. She was in SO MUCH pain I could tell, just from the change in her normally cheery and goofy personality. She stopped eating and I was feeding her with a syringe. She eventually stopped drinking. After a few days, she was practically dead so my fiance humanely culled her.

This bird suffered for who knows how long, but was in critical condition for well over a week, suffering immensely. It got me thinking. That bird suffered MUCH more than my meat birds ever will. These birds will have that one bad moment at the end, but up until that point they will just be young, happy birds under the care of someone who is paying close attention to their every need.

Idk if I'm just writing this to make myself feel better or if anyone else will feel good hearing this. But really, raising meat birds is humane. I loved my Golden Comet so, so much, but she unfortunately suffered much more than these birds ever will. Today I can look at these baby meat birds and not think darkly about their inevitable end in 8 weeks, but about all the good that will be in their life.

Idk if I'm just writing this to make myself feel better or if anyone else will feel good hearing this. But really, raising meat birds is humane. I loved my Golden Comet so, so much, but she unfortunately suffered much more than these birds ever will. Today I can look at these baby meat birds and not think darkly about their inevitable end in 8 weeks, but about all the good that will be in their life.

Yesterday I was thinking about the birds I culled Tuesday and I realized that I really ought to have culled the crossbeak as soon as I realized how bad his beak actually was.

I had been checking his crop regularly to make sure he was eating, but not only was he visually about half the size of his brothers, when I got him plucked his breastbone stuck out like a knife. Slow starvation in the presence of abundant food is not a happy existence. Should I have another such bird I'll cull him as a chick and give him to the wildlife like I do with the dead-in-shell birds at hatching.

But Slowpoke, my deformed cockerel, lived a happy life while it existed. I'd assisted him to hatch, did therapy on his splayed leg and deformed foot, and, since he never seemed to be in pain (though he did grow more slowly than his brothers), allowed him to hang around with the company of others until I was ready to do the culling.

My hands brought him into the world, cared for him while he was here, and took him back out of the world as mercifully as I could manage. After he was plucked I discovered that his deformity was even worse than I'd thought -- to the point that he had only a 2-finger gap between his breastbone and his pelvis. Had he been a hen she'd have died trying to pass her first egg.

He probably ate enough feed in 6 months to be a very expensive 4lbs of picked chicken, but he enjoyed his life and it wasn't wasted.

I haven't raised a batch of birds specifically for meat yet, but my experience with cull cockerels will help me raise them to have happy, if short, lives under my care. :)

Yesterday I was thinking about the birds I culled Tuesday and I realized that I really ought to have culled the crossbeak as soon as I realized how bad his beak actually was.

I had been checking his crop regularly to make sure he was eating, but not only was he visually about half the size of his brothers, when I got him plucked his breastbone stuck out like a knife. Slow starvation in the presence of abundant food is not a happy existence. Should I have another such bird I'll cull him as a chick and give him to the wildlife like I do with the dead-in-shell birds at hatching.

But Slowpoke, my deformed cockerel, lived a happy life while it existed. I'd assisted him to hatch, did therapy on his splayed leg and deformed foot, and, since he never seemed to be in pain (though he did grow more slowly than his brothers), allowed him to hang around with the company of others until I was ready to do the culling.

My hands brought him into the world, cared for him while he was here, and took him back out of the world as mercifully as I could manage. After he was plucked I discovered that his deformity was even worse than I'd thought -- to the point that he had only a 2-finger gap between his breastbone and his pelvis. Had he been a hen she'd have died trying to pass her first egg.

He probably ate enough feed in 6 months to be a very expensive 4lbs of picked chicken, but he enjoyed his life and it wasn't wasted.

I haven't raised a batch of birds specifically for meat yet, but my experience with cull cockerels will help me raise them to have happy, if short, lives under my care. :)
Yes, my Golden Comet's breastbone was also as you described with yours! It kills me to imagine how much she suffered silently over time, but also amazes me how upbeat she was despite her pain.

It sounds to me like you're also doing the very best you can to provide the best life you can for your chickens. And sometimes that means ending their life when their quality of life declines too much. I think many people are quick to judge when you say you cull a chicken, and assume you have no respect for chickens and see them as disposable. And maybe there are people like that. But for us, it's quite the opposite and I'm learning that culling is the really difficult part about being a respectful and responsible chicken keeper. And in the case of chickens specifically raised for meat, it's all the same. They aren't bred to live much longer so it's respectful and responsible to eat them at that point.

Yes, my Golden Comet's breastbone was also as you described with yours! It kills me to imagine how much she suffered silently over time, but also amazes me how upbeat she was despite her pain.

It sounds to me like you're also doing the very best you can to provide the best life you can for your chickens. And sometimes that means ending their life when their quality of life declines too much. I think many people are quick to judge when you say you cull a chicken, and assume you have no respect for chickens and see them as disposable. And maybe there are people like that. But for us, it's quite the opposite and I'm learning that culling is the really difficult part about being a respectful and responsible chicken keeper. And in the case of chickens specifically raised for meat, it's all the same. They aren't bred to live much longer so it's respectful and responsible to eat them at that point.

Except for the deformed ones, I give all my cull cockerels their chance on Craigslist before I eat them.

But for us, it's quite the opposite and I'm learning that culling is the really difficult part about being a respectful and responsible chicken keeper.
That is very true. As I'v moved from raising CX, to heritage birds or heritage mixes, I've reached the point where my meat is coming from healthy, "normal" birds who could live for several more years. I also cull 4 or 5 older hens every year to make room for new spring chickens who can give me eggs throughout the year.

Nothing about making those decisions and executing on butcher day is easy. But the alternative is to either go vegan or buy eggs and meat from the store where I know the animals did not live out a full or high quality life. I raise and butcher, rather than buy, because I care deeply about the quality of the life of chickens.

It's easy to buy a package in a styrofoam tray and not think about what was involved in bringing that food to you. It is both more difficult and more humane to do what you are doing. Don't let anyone make you feel bad or cruel for raising your own food.

I leave with a quote from a post I read that appeared in this forum some time back. It really helped me in thinking through the choice I was making.

Sally, I think the only way is to set a date and not allow yourself to back down. If you need help, let us know the date you are sending the birds for processing and we will hold you accountable.

This is not supposed to be easy; taking a life is a solemn thing. For me I do not want to ever get so calloused that I do not feel sad about taking a life. I want my meat chickens to have a lot of good days and one bad day.

My brother, who is a scientist, has a theory of conservation of difficulty. The theory goes that in any situation there is a certain amount of difficulty. You can move the difficulty around, but you cannot eliminate it. For example, anyone who had a computer in the 80's knows how hard it was to use a computer. You had to learn a lot about programming in order to use simple programs. Now computers are pretty simple to use because the designers and programmers have taken the difficulty away from the user and hidden it behind the scenes. So today you can fire up your computer and go directly to your desktop instead of start from the C prompt. To bring this back to chickens, if you are going to eat meat, then there is a certain amount of difficulty in the situation. Factory farms have allowed people to ignore that difficulty by raising chickens in conditions that are horrible and that do not respect the nature of the chicken -- the difficulty has been shifted from the people eating them to the chickens. I see the sadness and discomfort I suffer from killing chickens that I have carefully raised as my taking some of the difficulty on myself.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense.

That is very true. As I'v moved from raising CX, to heritage birds or heritage mixes, I've reached the point where my meat is coming from healthy, "normal" birds who could live for several more years. I also cull 4 or 5 older hens every year to make room for new spring chickens who can give me eggs throughout the year.

Nothing about making those decisions and executing on butcher day is easy. But the alternative is to either go vegan or buy eggs and meat from the store where I know the animals did not live out a full or high quality life. I raise and butcher, rather than buy, because I care deeply about the quality of the life of chickens.

It's easy to buy a package in a styrofoam tray and not think about what was involved in bringing that food to you. It is both more difficult and more humane to do what you are doing. Don't let anyone make you feel bad or cruel for raising your own food.

I leave with a quote from a post I read that appeared in this forum some time back. It really helped me in thinking through the choice I was making.
Wow thanks so much for sharing your perspective and that quote! It really helps to have so much support here. And it's nice you're (and others) willing to be honest and say it will never be easy but is part of humanely raising food and knowing where it comes from. Thank you. I need this.

The chicks are 1 week old today so it's weigh-in day! You guys said they would grow fast, and you were NOT kidding.

Again, I have no way of knowing which chick is which from week to week, so I'm just taking individual weights and averaging them. I'm also switching from grams to ounces, so I'll have both this week and from then on it'll be just ounces.

This week's weights 9-19-22:
190 g / 6.7 oz
181 g / 6.4 oz
178 g / 6.3 oz
174 g / 6.1 oz
170 g / 6 oz
170 g / 6 oz
156 g / 5.5 oz
Average = 174.14 g / 6.14 oz
42g, 54g, 44g, 52g, 43g, 46g, 40g. = Average of 45.85 grams

For comparison, the day-old Salmon Faverolles weighed in at 33 grams. The week-old mystery chick weighed in at 46 grams.

See last week's weights in the quote above. They just about QUADRUPLED in weight in just one week! That is insane. Here's a picture of them although it doesn't do them justice and I don't even think the monster one is in it.
signal-2022-09-19-11-48-14-111.jpg

For comparison, the week-old Salmon Faverolles weighed in at 69g/2.4 oz today (was 33g last week), and the two-week-old mystery chick is 86g/3.1 oz (was 46g last week).

I better finish this chicken tractor because these guys will be ready to go outside as soon as I know it!

Back
Top Bottom