First time using incubator....First set tomorrow...Help

Apprentice_egger

Songster
12 Years
Nov 26, 2009
Morrisville, Vermont
Here's the story.

On Friday we had an over 40* day and my bantam Cochins decided to lay our first egg for me. I put it in the basement where the temps are about right for storage and Saturday we went to the Northeastern Poultry Congress Show. We came home with 6 Silkie hatching eggs. The friend we took with us ended up with a OEGB Spangle egg from the hen he got at the show. This morning with 40* weather still hanging on I found another egg in the nest box. I am setting up the LG incubator tonight with the auto-turner we bought today.

Here's the question. I only have the standard egg cups as we had orginally thought of hand turning the eggs, but my wife's schedule has changed recently so they might not get turned on schedule with my unconventional schedule, so how do I make the regular cups work with small eggs until I can order and receive the smaller egg cups later this week? I don't think any of the Silkie eggs is older than 5-7 days so if I can get them in tomorrow I've got a better chance of hatching what we have. (My wife split up what she got in the silent auction because another mother with a little girl wanted some.(My wife can be ruthless when she wants something
smack.gif
))

The OEGB egg is the one that really needs help although none of them are a perfect fit for standard egg cups.
jumpy.gif
HELP!

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to help you but I can tell you I put silkie eggs in my turner with no problem. Do you have a small egg carton you could cut up and put inside the turner? Not much help I know. Sorry.

i put my silkie eggs in my turner regular size cups and i had no problems. my turner holds 42 eggs. i even hatched some turkeys in the same cups. just had to space them apart. the silkie eggs wiggle a little while in the turner, but after watching my silkie broodys, that little movement in the turner is nothing compared to the silkie momas turning the eggs. they are not gentle.

Would it hurt to put the OEGB egg in some tissue to take up the space? I don't want to smother it by blocking the pores of the egg. If I'd thought that I'd have an OEGB egg I would have bought some trays at the show.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom