First time with chickens, what’s going on with his skin?

Lesserevil

Chirping
7 Years
May 20, 2017
I have ducks and geese for years but this is my first year with chickens and I’m concerned with this on him/her. 7 week old Cochin. It’s on his/her back where he still has some down. Only one with it. They have a nice big coop with all purpose sand as their bedding, lots of ventilation. Huge run both with lots of roosting perches etc. Is it just because the feathers are coming in or something else. He/she is my favorite. I think it might be a roo because it’s the last one to feather out

Attachments

• IMG_8486.jpeg
    IMG_8486.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8484.jpeg
    IMG_8484.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 10
I have ducks and geese for years but this is my first year with chickens and I’m concerned with this on him/her. 7 week old Cochin. It’s on his/her back where he still has some down. Only one with it. They have a nice big coop with all purpose sand as their bedding, lots of ventilation. Huge run both with lots of roosting perches etc. Is it just because the feathers are coming in or something else. He/she is my favorite. I think it might be a roo because it’s the last one to feather out

no, I haven’t. They’re outside in their run most of the day so I don’t see it but I’ve never witnessed any of them picking on him
Please post a photo of the whole bird, hard to tell where that is located on the body, thanks!

From what I can see, the feather loss/damage is due to either picking/plucking and/or being mounted.

How are the chicks being kept, are they with the ducks and geese?

Please post a photo of the whole bird, hard to tell where that is located on the body, thanks!

From what I can see, the feather loss/damage is due to either picking/plucking and/or being mounted.

How are the chicks being kept, are they with the ducks and geese?
They have a 50 foot x 20 run with a converted tackle room as big as a small bedroom for a coop. It’s on his back between his wings. The ducks and geese are in another barn across from it so not the same building or run and they never interact. I think you are right as I saw feathers today in the run when I got home. What can I do? They’re all the same age and he’s the only roo supposedly. Idk which one or if there’s multiple ones doing it. They don’t do it in front of me.

They have a 50 foot x 20 run with a converted tackle room as big as a small bedroom for a coop. It’s on his back between his wings. The ducks and geese are in another barn across from it so not the same building or run and they never interact. I think you are right as I saw feathers today in the run when I got home. What can I do? They’re all the same age and he’s the only roo supposedly. Idk which one or if there’s multiple ones doing it. They don’t do it in front of me.
Could be picking while they are roosting, but loss on the back between the wings often is due to mounting.

How many chicks do you have? Could be you have another cockerel in the mix. Hard to know.

Observation during roosting and while they are occupied will often reveal what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom