First time with shipped eggs! Received today!!!

jeslewmazer

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 24, 2009
Mississippi
I just won my first auction for 24 eggs. Whoa! What have I done. This is kind of a rant, but I am still so excited. I hope it turns out good. Any advice for a newbie at receiving shipped hatching eggs??? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited:
When you get them, open the package and unwrap the eggs, then let them sit overnight to "rest." If you don't have your incubator set up already by then, set it up when you get those eggs, and let it run so it will stabilize and get ready for you to set the eggs.

Get yourself a hygrometer ahead of time and calibrate it, too, so you know whether it's accurate or not, and how much you have to adjust for it, if it is not.

Do NOT candle those eggs excessively. I only candle on Day 10 and Day 18, the day I lock down the incubator for hatching.

Understand that a 50% hatch rate is GOOD for shipped eggs.

Others may give you more tips, but this is a start.

Oh..... and also understand this is addictive. All it takes is one chick emerging from an egg to start it.

Put the egg in the carton with small end point down and let them sit for overnight before place in the incubator. During that time you can adjust your incubator 99.5-100.5F while waiting.

Last edited:
Give the sender your name and phone number to have marked on the box, along with "HOLD FOR PICKUP CALL (#)". Most who get shipped eggs have noticed that the hatch rates are a little better when they do this.

As soon as you get your eggs in the mail, bring them in and open the box very carefully. I always wash my hands before touching the eggs so I don't put my germs on them. Sometimes the eggs are packaged in an egg carton, if not make sure you have one so the eggs can "settle" in an egg carton for about 12 hours upon arrival. During that time make sure that your incubator is holding its current temperature and humidity. Once the eggs are placed in the incubator, I don't open it unless I need to add humidity to the incubator or if I am candling my eggs which should not be done alot during incubation. I candle my eggs on day 6, 12, and 18 to make sure they are developing. Hope this helped and good luck on your hatch!

yippiechickie.gif

So I received 24 hatching eggs today. None were cracked and all look to be in good condition. Do I need to let them rest for only 12 hours or does it need to be longer? It might sound like common sense......But......(from the backyard flock vs shipped hatching eggs) is the only difference that I have to let the eggs rest? I have had many successful hatches from my own flock already, so everything has been working right. Thanks in advance.

hmm.png

Quick question-not quite off topic-when ordering eggs by mail with the intent of putting them under a broody hen-do you still "rest" them for twelve hours before putting them under the hen like you would if you were using an incubator?

Back
Top Bottom