Wild-Turkey

Songster
Nov 9, 2020
Northwestern MT, US
So we have a group of six turkeys. Just like the title, five jakes, one jenny. They’re currently fine, but I know this is gonna be a problem later with fighting and overbreeding. They also hang out in the same yard as chickens and ducks, though they were raised separately and usually keep to their own groups. They are about six months old. We don’t have an issue with black head where we live and don’t have it in our flock. We obviously plan to get more hens next spring. I’ve noticed small scarring on the caruncles and crown of the jakes that may be from fighting, but nothing major aside from the tip of one of their beaks was recently broken off. We are relatively new to turkeys, we got these guys this year (2020).
So my questions include:
Is there a way to deal with the jakes that doesn’t include butchering due to emotional reasons but is still comfortable and fair to the jakes?
Is it fair to keep the jakes in separate areas within the coop and outside?
Can black head show up later even if they’ve mixed beforehand?
Will the mixing in the yard become an issue later on?

Obviously the birds comfort and health is the most important thing and if something that may be uncomfortable for me but is the best option for the birds shows up I will go that route.

These are currently the only photos available to me at the moment but I will include more tomorrow or the day after that show more than just their heads. Not important but the jake’s name is Theodore, the jenny’s name is Hen, and the group consists of two Blue Slates, two Royal Palms, and a Red Bourbon.
Thank you.

8F7017D9-B587-4C99-9700-66DB30AAFCA3.jpeg
5E87E0E9-291D-43E1-A522-55BDD66A42E7.jpeg

Last edited:
I would think about rehoming or having a separate coop and run for the jakes...and a hen saddle.
She can get hurt during mating. I had one with a deep gash and other people have had them killed.

When I didn't have enough turkey hens, the chicken hens were getting squashed.
Had a cockerel with a broken back, he had been best friends with the jake who broke him.
a rooster, who wouldn't run away, killed by a jake

I would think about rehoming or having a separate coop and run for the jakes...and a hen saddle.
She can get hurt during mating. I had one with a deep gash and other people have had them killed.

When I didn't have enough turkey hens, the chicken hens were getting squashed.
Had a cockerel with a broken back, he had been best friends with the jake who broke him.
a rooster, who wouldn't run away, killed by a jake
Thank you, I had a feeling we’d have to separate and/or rehome, but I stupidly didn’t research enough about behavior before getting them.
I’m happy I didn’t have to learn the hard way, though. Sorry to hear about your hens and cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom