Flattened toes on chick

Poodlemum

Crowing
Aug 26, 2021
Northern Utah
Our broody abandoned the last pipped egg and I thought it was dead, super cold and stiff. Luckily I saw it gasp when I finished chores and brought it inside to dispose of. However, it’s really struggling :/ The legs are looking a bit better with hobbles, but the toes look completely flattened. I’m not sure how well the pics show it. Is there anything that will help? How well can she live life if there’s no fix? It’s both feet and most the toes

F61D529E-CF27-4B6E-A4E1-626938052A38.jpeg

Chick vitamins such as Poultry Cell, or human baby vitamins (polyvisol without iron) can give her some riboflavin (b2) which might help. If other vitamins are used, make sure they have riboflavin listed. B complex tablets 1/4 daily crushed into food or a spoonful of water is also good.

You can make a tape bootie for her - https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-with-tape-picture-tutorial-and-video.75247/

It may be that she was unable to hatch due to a health issue, in which case she may not do well, but if you have the time to manage her no reason you can't try.
I keep trying to tell my girls that, plus she might have been abandoned since the hen sensed something was wrong. We cuddled her until she passed this afternoon. Her umbilical looked off and didn’t smell very nice either, so I’m sure there were other issues at play as well

Chick vitamins such as Poultry Cell, or human baby vitamins (polyvisol without iron) can give her some riboflavin (b2) which might help. If other vitamins are used, make sure they have riboflavin listed. B complex tablets 1/4 daily crushed into food or a spoonful of water is also good.
That’s always my go to if anyone looks off, we have so many breeds that need those extra vitamins. She didn’t make it though 😭 I think there were other issues, her umbilical was off looking and didn’t smell too good

Back
Top Bottom