Flavors ducks hate?

loofa

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Hi everyone,

I want to experiment with finding ways to discourage over-mating/mounting (besides separation, which of course is always an option, however, my drake is not the only duck who likes to mount other ducks). I'm thinking about non-toxic-to-ducks flavors that they hate, applied to back of the neck/head feathers. I'm feeling inspired by the grape goose-be-gone products on the market. I'd love to learn your observations about flavors they really despise.

I'm also open to other ideas - I've tried to imagine hen hoods that drape a click cloth down the back of the neck, but I don't think that would work, and other brainstormings for how to stop quackers from being mounted.

Goose be gone products? I'll have to check that out. To keep my Runner drake from over mating the Muscovy he only does this with the Muscovy I have his flock separated from the Muscovy and when he is let into the Muscovy side I get the hose to him when he starts chasing them. .

My ducks avoid strong herbs like mint or lavender. I tried putting coconut oil mixed with lavender oil on my girls to help heal wounds on their necks. It seemed to help some but not completely. I have also tried cutting out the end of a baby sock and putting it over my girls head. She did not like it but it gave the drake something to grab besides her skin. I hope you find something.

My ducks avoid strong herbs like mint or lavender. I tried putting coconut oil mixed with lavender oil on my girls to help heal wounds on their necks. It seemed to help some but not completely. I have also tried cutting out the end of a baby sock and putting it over my girls head. She did not like it but it gave the drake something to grab besides her skin. I hope you find something.
I'm returning to this thread from long ago because our drake (same drake) is being seriously overmating some of our hens this season - I'm wondering if the sock deterred mating or just protected the back of the head/neck feathers? And also, how did you keep it from just slipping down?

I'm returning to this thread from long ago because our drake (same drake) is being seriously overmating some of our hens this season - I'm wondering if the sock deterred mating or just protected the back of the head/neck feathers? And also, how did you keep it from just slipping down?
If your hen is being injured, You may need send drakey boy to jail for a little while.

I bought baby socks so it was tight. It helped give the drake something to grab besides her skin, but, eventually I got rid of the drake. He just kept getting worse. I found out that Dutch Hookbill drakes are considered better gentlemen. So, I went on a quest to get them. I ended up hatching three drakes. I kept the most gentle of the three. He is still young but so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom