Flemish Giants? Beginner questions :)

Snowygirl

Songster
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Mirkwood
Hi all,

I'm new to rabbits and I had a few questions....We were curious about getting my sister a rabbit
for her 7th b-day and we weren't sure if a Flemish Giant would be a good fit. Here are my questions:

* Is seven too young for a rabbit?

* How long do they live?

* Is a Flemish too much bunny?

* How heavy is the average Flemish?

* Which is sweeter, Male or Female?

* And do you think that there's a better breed for her?

Thanks!!
smile.png

Hello,
I own six rabbits and I show them frequently. I never owned a flemish, but i have heard good things about them. Here's the answers to your questions:
* Seven years old is not too young, as long as you supervise her when near the rabbit. I get more concerned when younger kids own tiny rabbits. If your kid is seven, and owns a rabbit that could one day be almost as big as her, I see no problems. That is, as long as she doesn't try to ride it!
*Rabbits can live anywhere between 7 years old, to 15 years old. A Flemish Giant would probably live 8 to 11, maybe 13 with proper care. Of course, this is just an estimate. Your rabbit could live longer, or shorter. I heard of 20 year old rabbits, so the life expectancy is variable.
*A Flemish is not too much bunny, if you are looking at a big rabbit. Keep in mind, the bigger the rabbit, the more cage space (Flemishes need a BIG cage!) you will need, the more it will need to eat, and the bigger the poop!
*As for the average weight of a Flemish, let's just say they easily weigh at least 13 pounds but will most likely exceed that limit
*When asking male or female, both have their pros and cons
Males- PROS: calmer, less likely to bite CONS: messier, and may try to mate with you!
Females- PROS: cleaner, usually don't mate with things CONS: can get bitey during breeding season, more hyper than males
Whether you choose a male or female is your personal preference, but since Flemishes are big rabbits, they are not usually hyper. I would recommend a female for this breed, but there is nothing wrong with choosing a male. Also, Flemishes are nice rabbits and rarely will bite. Male or Female.
*Now, to start with a Flemish can be a lot of work. If you love this breed, get it. However, I think a little bit smaller breed would be easier. I have a New Zealand and they can be a bit shy, but she sits on my lap and gets pet for hours! New Zealands are a little bit smaller than the Flemish, weighing an average weight of 11 or 12 pounds, if they are not obese. Mine only bit me once when she was a baby. The males are extremely sweet and the females are calm. I would recommend this rabbit over a Flemish, but don't be afraid to get a Flemish if you believe that you can handle it! So, consider this info, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
P.S. Is this rabbit going to live outdoors or indoors? Outdoors would probably be easier for you!
Rabbits are great pets and are easy to take care of, so you have made a great choice! Just make sure you know your breed because their personalities differ and some are definitely meaner than others! Good luck!
bun.gif

Thank you so much!!

We have an old chicken coop on stilts, so we were thinking about changing into
a rabbit hutch. It also has a run around it, so it would have outside access.
So, you'd recommend a new zealand? Are they easier to take care of? Are
they hardy? Because I want to make sure that it won't bite her if she squeezes it.

smile.png

A chicken coop would be fine for a rabbit as long as it is protected. All rabbits are easy to care for except running rabbits. I find them very hardy. Mine isn't spooked by anything which is good because running rabbits and small rabbits like my English Spot spook easily and get heart attacks. They are also very cold hardy. You just have to make sure that they don't overheat in the summer. Mine has a tiny fan and an umbrella by its cage in the summer, but that's because my cage doesn't have a roof. I also recommend squirting behind any rabbit's ears in the summer. They can't sweat, so it helps regulate their heat. If your cage has a roof, you wont need an umbrella for shade. Just make sure it has a fan, ( you can buy a cheap one at any store) near the cage, or you can spray their necks. Of course, this is only on very hot days. Just know the weather and use your judgement to see of they are too hot. Keeping rabbits cool is very important because rabbits of all breeds like it cold. Heat strokes are one of the most common rabbit health
problems. About your last question, any rabbit may bite if it is squeezed too hard, but I have used my New Zealand as a pillow and she didn't complain, so I don't think that they would mind a gentle squeeze! There are not many colors of the New Zealand but the most common color is Red Eyed White. There is also black, black and white, and the rare red. I have also heard of blues. Also, they tend to punch more than bite. Yes, I have been punched, but it does not hurt! Mine also makes a variety of noises. You would be surprised but rabbits are vocal creatures and can make a variety of noises. One of my rabbits barks like a small dog. So, I think they are a great beginner breed.
thumbsup.gif

That's so funny! I didn't know that rabbits punched!

Do you think that a run around the cage is ok? Will it be ok if I let it out?
I don't want to hurt it. Thank you so much for answering my questions!
It's my first time with a rabbit, so I want to make sure that it'll be a good fit.

smile.png

A run around the cage is fine as long as there are no holes, the rabbit can't get out, and make sure the rabbit is not in the run at night. You don't want a hungry raccoon to get to your rabbit. Also, rabbits dig small ditches so make sure they don't dig one big enough to escape. Although, it would take a big hole for a rabbit of that size to escape, just be careful. Your welcome!:)

Okay, We'd probably bury it a bit, so that he/she couldn't get out.
Also, during winter, what should I do about shelter?

Sorry about all the questions....
smile.png

Its no problem! Im glad to be able to post on these forums. Since I don't have chickens yet, your questions give me something to do on this site. Burying it is good. That's the best way to prevent ditches. As for winter, you should have an enclosed are for the rabbit. Actually, you should have a completely enclosed area all year long. It provides a safety area if the rabbit feels threatened or scared, during the winter months, you should stuff this nesting area with straw. It will keep the rabbit warm. You can do this in the summer, but it may be too hot for the rabbit. As for the run area, you can keep it the same way all year, but there is way to keep the rabbit warmer. On our cages, we built on plastic slides that allow us to put sheets of plexiglass on the outdoor area. This helps keep the wind out and store heat. It's pretty easy to do once you know the dimensions of the cage. First, you drill screen channels onto the edge of the run. If you don't know what a screen channel is, ask your local hardware store. Then, get sheets of plexiglass cut to match the dimensions of your run. That way, you can take the plexiglass off on warmer days and put it on on cooler days. Another winter warning is that if you are planning on using a water bottle, check to make sure that it is not frozen! Water bottles will freeze and Even water bowls do. Always make sure that your rabbits water supply Is not frozen. If it is, just unthaw it in your sink. In the summer, change the water twice a day because it gets warm fast and algae will grow. Summer is really the season you should worry about. Rabbits HATE the summer. They'd rather take the winter any day

Thanks! Are you going to get chickens? They're so much fun!
If you had any questions please ask me, I'd be glad to help!
smile.png

I was planning on getting some chickens soon! I'm so excited! I've been wanting them, for a long time! Do you prefer bantams or standard fowl? I think bantams are so cute, but I really like some of the standards. Also, how noisy are bantam Roos? Someone told me that they are pretty quiet, but others have told me different. If you have any tips or preferences, feel free to tell me. Good luck with your rabbit!:D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom