Flock not accepting mother or chicks

MyISAbrownhens

Songster
6 Years
May 23, 2017
Virginia
I have one hen in my flock who is raising three babies she hatched herself. She’s raised them for seven weeks now in a crate inside the chicken coop, and I’ve started letting them out to be with the rest of the flock this week. Outside and roaming everyone gets along, but putting them back in the run at night, the flock will pick on the babies and sometimes the mom. I thought the mom would try to protect them, but she doesn’t do anything. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. they’ve all been roosting together for a week now, but the babies are still too scared of the big chickens and the big chickens just take advantage of the babies and momma.

Momma is past the protective stage. I sometimes let mine hatch within the flock, and sometimes I separate them. When they are separated, I put the hen and chicks back in the flock when the babies are 1-2 weeks old. Hen is still protective, chicks are able to get around well.

Can you create a safe place in your coop that only the babies can get into? Or at least a barrier so they can get get out of sight of the older ones?

Back
Top Bottom