Flopped Comb

I have a RockBarred hen, about 6 months old. I got her with my Astralorpe and the Rock Barred hen did have a little sneezing. I gave her super vitamins and it cleared up. The Astralorpe is laying every day, she has not. We had a thunder/lightening storm here in Central Florida last night and this morning I saw (Juney) under the roost and quiet, and noted that her comb was layed over. She seems a little lethargic but her crop is full. I separated her from the rest and will see in the morning. Anything else I should look for? The fact that she should be laying and is not has always been my concern. She did have a weird smell (coccidosis?) but not now. I don't know what else to tell you for info. Please ask me for more info so I can figure this out. Thanks in advance.

Check her crop first thing in the morning to see if it is empty or squishy in case she has sour crop which could account for the smell.
People will want pics of the flopped over comb.

I have a RockBarred hen, about 6 months old. I got her with my Astralorpe and the Rock Barred hen did have a little sneezing. I gave her super vitamins and it cleared up. The Astralorpe is laying every day, she has not. We had a thunder/lightening storm here in Central Florida last night and this morning I saw (Juney) under the roost and quiet, and noted that her comb was layed over. She seems a little lethargic but her crop is full. I separated her from the rest and will see in the morning. Anything else I should look for? The fact that she should be laying and is not has always been my concern. She did have a weird smell (coccidosis?) but not now. I don't know what else to tell you for info. Please ask me for more info so I can figure this out. Thanks in advance.
Is she walking alright, if not she may be egg bound.

Good that you isolated her, to see crop condition in the morning, also note any poop irregularities. Pics of any weird poops and the flopped comb would help.

Sneezing and a weird smell makes me think of a respiratory disease.
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive know about those.

How is she today?
Photos of the pullet and her poop would be good.

You mention there's a weird smell - make sure her crop is emptying overnight and take a look inside her beak.
If the smell is coming from the vent, then look her over - see if she's soiled, has a discharge, a wound, etc.
Inspect your pullet.

How long have you had her?

How does her crop feel? A bad odor sometimes can be from a sour crop, or since she was sneezing, it could be from a respiratory disease, such as coryza. Since she is lethargic, I would check the crop, and offer some water. If you have some Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes, that would be good as well. Look for any nasal drainage or watery or bubbly eyes, or other symptoms. The crop in early morning before eating should be empty and flat and then fill up as the day goes on if they are eating. Sour crop feels puffy and dose not empty by morning.

How does her crop feel? A bad odor sometimes can be from a sour crop, or since she was sneezing, it could be from a respiratory disease, such as coryza. Since she is lethargic, I would check the crop, and offer some water. If you have some Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes, that would be good as well. Look for any nasal drainage or watery or bubbly eyes, or other symptoms. The crop in early morning before eating should be empty and flat and then fill up as the day goes on if they are eating. Sour crop feels puffy and dose not empty by morning.
She had watery eyes and sneezing when I first got her home. Approximately 4 months old on the day she got here October 24, 2020. I did use the NutriDrench about a month later and the symptoms cleared up. The pullet I got with her has begun laying eggs, not 'Juney' Her crop had some food in it this morning, not real puffy, nor flat. but she didn't seem interested in food today as I offered it, she put her beak in, and shook her head. So maybe sour crop it is. PS: her whole flock of 3 others have been devouring the fermented food for the last two weeks. Everyone else is fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom