FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Update... shes still eating dust bathing and drinking. She still seems congested(sounds kinda rattly sometimes but not all the time.)Shes still forages too.The only thing that has stopped is her egglaying. Not really sure what to do other than to keep waiting and hope that she gets better without intervention.I hate keeping her in the garage though. I try to let her out for fresh air every few hours,I think the sunshine is good for her.:)

Chi
Update... shes still eating dust bathing and drinking. She still seems congested(sounds kinda rattly sometimes but not all the time.)Shes still forages too.The only thing that has stopped is her egglaying. Not really sure what to do other than to keep waiting and hope that she gets better without intervention.I hate keeping her in the garage though. I try to let her out for fresh air every few hours,I think the sunshine is good for her.:)
My understanding is that chickens don't get colds so its probably some form of CRD. If she was in with everyone else before, they have probably already been exposed using same feeders and waterers. At some point with my own sick hen, I decided to put her back with her flock mates. I was told if one have it, they all have it. She may not be laying because she is stressed by the change in environment. I don't think fresh air and sunshine are ever a bad thing. If you put her back before her symptoms are gone, watch that the other hens don't pick on her. My one chicken who developed a sick eye from Coryza went from accepted to picked on. She still seemed happier not to be isolated in garage. It's like the group can tell weakness is bad for the safety of the flock. Let us know how things turn out. Best wishes.

Last edited:
I was supposed to pick up 2 chickens today.... ended up with 3 my husband is going to kill me. He told me yesterday ONLY 2 more! Now I have 11 all together... originally the number of chickens was supposed to be 4 when he built my coop. lol UGH! Ill trade a bag of chicken food for my cochin hen! I am in Lakeland. Here is a picture of her: This was back when she was getting her butt kicked.. she isnt anymore and her face doesn't have scabs anymore. I have a box you can take her in... I would prefer she be able to free range like she does here... also she has to be picked up today. 10/3 Let me know and I can give you my address =]

I was supposed to pick up 2 chickens today.... ended up with 3 my husband is going to kill me. He told me yesterday ONLY 2 more! Now I have 11 all together... originally the number of chickens was supposed to be 4 when he built my coop. lol UGH! Ill trade a bag of chicken food for my cochin hen! I am in Lakeland. Here is a picture of her: This was back when she was getting her butt kicked.. she isnt anymore and her face doesn't have scabs anymore. I have a box you can take her in... I would prefer she be able to free range like she does here... also she has to be picked up today. 10/3 Let me know and I can give you my address =]
I started out with 6 pullets and one coop. This year I ended up with about 400 birds 9 coops and a large chicken tractor. My DH told me I needed to downsize. Now I'm at around 200 birds. It's an addiction. Now I even show birds at the poultry show so I bathe them and make them pretty for the shows.

Last edited:
Chi
My understanding is that chickens don't get colds so its probably some form of CRD. If she was in with everyone else before, they have probably already been exposed using same feeders and waterers. At some point with my own sick hen, I decided to put her back with her flock mates. I was told if one have it, they all have it. She may not be laying because she is stressed by the change in environment. I don't think fresh air and sunshine are ever a bad thing. If you put her back before her symptoms are gone, watch that the other hens don't pick on her. My one chicken who developed a sick eye from Coryza went from accepted to picked on. She still seemed happier not to be isolated in garage. It's like the group can tell weakness is bad for the safety of the flock. Let us know how things turn out. Best wishes.

Shes better. Put her back in with the girls today. No more rattle and just a sneeze here and there, shes also laying again.:)

I picked up 34 straight run chicks for myself. I'm only supposed to have 15 according to my husband. I feel your pain...
highfive.gif

You all are crazy women! Thats a lot of chickens!! lol He actually wasnt mad. He thought they were cute. =] 
Glad it worked out. I'd probably have 200 if I could get away with it. Crazy chicken lady status here I come. Hmmm. They should add that as a badge option here on BYC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom