FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Spent 7 years in Gainesville and now reside in Homestead Fl (Redlands) any body this far south?
woot.gif
Hi I'm in Hialeah! I'm a first time chicken mom of 4 black Australorps. I hope this isn't a dumb question but I cant seem to find the answer to this: Do chickens molt this far south in Florida? I've read that molting is dependent on the amount of daylight. But in south Florida we don't really have a winter. What has been your experience?

Hi I'm in Hialeah! I'm a first time chicken mom of 4 black Australorps. I hope this isn't a dumb question but I cant seem to find the answer to this: Do chickens molt this far south in Florida? I've read that molting is dependent on the amount of daylight. But in south Florida we don't really have a winter. What has been your experience?
Hi, yes, I live in Broward County and they do Lose feathers and re-grown them. Usually occurs every year when the days get shorter. They typically stop laying.

Hi, yes, I live in Broward County and they do Lose feathers and re-grown them. Usually occurs every year when the days get shorter. They typically stop laying.
Hi - do your ladies have a hard molt or do only some feathers drop at a time? What breed do you have?

Hi - do your ladies have a hard molt or do only some feathers drop at a time? What breed do you have?
I have a couple of buff Orpingtons, RIR, and black ones, unk breeds, but they lay light green egg… light feathers lost. (Barr Rock and Leghorn- they had it bad. Lost a lot of feathers. Now, I put up lights inside and outside coup to extend the days. (turns on at 7-7:30p and off at 9:30-10p. Also, increases protein.

Last call on the larger pea comb Moss Egger rooster.
I’ve decided I’m going to keep Polko, and eventually find him a home, but will have to resort to a no (low) crow collar until he’s rehomed to someplace really ideal. I’m too attached to him to accept otherwise.
The other rooster Quiche will go to a farm that might or might not use him for breeding. Likely a pot is in his future after they take him, but I just can’t keep them both. My marriage & my neighbors’ good will is on the line. 😉
Please let me know if you or anyone you know in Central Florida would be interested.
Thank you! 🙏🏻
Quichie is taken. Only rooster left is Polko & I will only accept a good home for him. (Breeding interests - He’s a Moss Egger Rooster) Otherwise we’ll keep him. He’s been an amazing rooster! Zero aggression, fantastic flock-management. Beautiful - white with black spots. Giant, deep red comb.

Great. Thanks for that tip. Would one of the red brooder lights work for that or would it need to be a different type of light?

balloons.gif

balloons.gif

Welcome to the Florida Chat Thread!!
Let's see how many BYC members are in FLORIDA!!
Visit our Member page & add yourself to our list:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/florida-always-sunny-side-up

Talk away Floridians or share pictures, and hope to see all of you some day at a swap. If you have stuff that you want to offer to your neighbors, you can post here too.
Hi! How can I get added to the florida page? I tried messaging the person on the directions but it seems their username was changed?

I’m in seminole county

Back
Top Bottom