We now have 2 baby chicks. I'm worried about the 2nd one, I will breathe easier if it survives the night. When I checked to see how much progress it had made 30 minutes ago I realized I had a problem. Over 24 hours since it made the pip and it had not progressed any at all. It also had a weak sounding cheep so I quickly assisted the hatch. Poor thing was mal-positioned and if I had not acted it probably would have passed in the shell overnight. I want to point out it is not fun doing a quick assisted hatch under the house at the edge of dark, but if I had walked away with the egg Momma Hen would have attacked and possibly hurt the other chick. Instead I did it just out of beak reach beside her while she growled the entire time. This 2nd chick is black, it may dry off to look similar to the other one I cannot tell yet. I was really hoping for another cricket look-a-like but I guess it was not meant to be. I could maybe try next year with not only the Butter eggs but the other orps too. I do not know, it seems I am not meant to have the fluffy footed yellow/white chicken.
I'm so glad you knew to assist it. I hope to read later that it made it through the night.

I’m managing. It’s hot 🥵 and I’m fevered sometimes. I have not seen the doctor yet. When I called, they said that it’s best NOT to come in with a fever, or I could go to the emergency center, but it’s my choice. Some doctor huh? :idunno
Crazy time. The doctor only wants to see you when you are healthy these days. You could go to the pharmacy and get an at home test kit.

Electric fencing.

Great pictures by the way!
Thank you - I found an additional use for my headlamp - lighting up raccoons in peach trees!
And yes, next season I go electric!
Normally I can tell when they are just ripe enough for the raccoons to want to clear the tree and I harvest as many as I can during the day. This year is funky because of the drought - they are way late ripening (probably not enough water to swell the fruit) and I guess the raccoons just couldn't wait any longer.

I hope you didn't get a bronchial infection from the recent almond dust stuff.:idunno The only positive to it being that, though, would be it would be easily treatable with an antibiotic (versus it being viral) Hope you feel better in the morning after a bit of sleep!

A cute picture to ?maybe? cheer you up?

Bunch of hungry teenagers with hollow legs!:
View attachment 3245370

Seems these guys heard stories of the 'box' from @RoyalChick 's Hooligans. More are in the box than underneath the warming plate!!!:rolleyes: And it is chilly here at night the last few nights, but they slept there - without any real feathering!!!:eek::thView attachment 3245371
Shared bodily warmth. 👍👍

Thank you all for your condolences and thoughtfulness. I finally just buried her… I had a lot of work to do today posting a board packet before the long weekend. She is at rest where I said, under the walnut tree near her sisters. At some point I will do a tribute, but for now I just want to say that my favorite memory of hers when she got to raise chicks. She was a wonderful mother. Rest in peace sweet Cashew.
View attachment 3245444

View attachment 3245389
What a sweetheart. She was blessed to live with you. RIP sweet lady. :hugs :hugs

It's a wrap folk!
In the great Raccoon wars of 2022 there was a clear and decisive winner.
In spite of early wins in cutting off access via the tree trunk, RoyalChick was left with only 4 peaches on the tree this morning.

She thanks her adversaries for their generosity and will honor the Raccoon General with the name Winston as he is clearly a dedicated follower of Churchill's maxim:

“In War: Resolution,
In Defeat: Defiance,
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will.”
Just wait until next year!
angry star trek GIF

Back
Top Bottom