DSCN3980.JPG

Red folks, to save headaches when asked Russ is Red.

Arabian folks would call that liver chestnut. Rocky Mountain folks would call that color Silver *mane and tail* chocolate. If that is a miniature horse I have also heard the colors silver and chocolate thrown around. Dirt's color is supposed to be Silver Chocolate Roan.
I do like his spots.
How can you tell a miniature horse from a pony? They also have another small one, a dark color, plus two regular big horses (EDIT one is the "red" color like Russ I think). They have two kids, and the girl rides I think. I can ask them next time we talk. Maybe if I get a picture with the regular ones you can compare and tell? He is much bigger than the miniature ponies/horses I've seen boarded at some other neighbor's farm, those reportedly went around to fairs and little kids rode them.

I'm so sorry! It's heartbreaking and there's no good words that can really comfort. :hugs :hugs
If a rat can get in a weasel could too. But that's not a typical weasel or rodent attack. The snake experts make a good case in their analysis.
Weasels exist in Missouri, but they're quite rare.

As for the roost, that could have gone better. In fact, there wasn't many ways it could have gone worse.

Eenie had secured the area behind the water for their new "nest".
20230813_202353.jpg

The other three were getting ready to puppy pile.
20230813_202325.jpg

I tried to gently lift Eenie...but I somehow managed to get both her AND Uno...who was very vocally distressed to be squished between my hand and her mama. After depositing them on the roost, I quickly nabbed Tres and popped him on the roost. Uno was unhappy. Tres was unhappy. Eenie was unhappy. Manny decided HE was unhappy and hopped up on the roost too.
20230813_202452.jpg

Eenie eventually hopped off. Manny literally lifted his foot and kicked Uno off. Tres then jumped off...on the back side...directly on top of Meanie, who was NOT having it. There was cackling and flapping and flying and VERY UNHAPPY CHICKENS.
:th
I decided that I'd done enough damage and quietly exited the facility, head bowed in defeat.

As for the roost, that could have gone better. In fact, there wasn't many ways it could have gone worse.

Eenie had secured the area behind the water for their new "nest". View attachment 3608659
The other three were getting ready to puppy pile. View attachment 3608660
I tried to gently lift Eenie...but I somehow managed to get both her AND Uno...who was very vocally distressed to be squished between my hand and her mama. After depositing them on the roost, I quickly nabbed Tres and popped him on the roost. Uno was unhappy. Tres was unhappy. Eenie was unhappy. Manny decided HE was unhappy and hopped up on the roost too.
View attachment 3608666
Eenie eventually hopped off. Manny literally lifted his foot and kicked Uno off. Tres then jumped off...on the back side...directly on top of Meanie, who was NOT having it. There was cackling and flapping and flying and VERY UNHAPPY CHICKENS.
I decided that I'd done enough damage and quietly exited the facility, head bowed in defeat.
That couldn't have been a better written comedy skit!

:hugs Don't worry - it WILL get better. :hugs Just keep doing this, and they will eventually get the hint and use the roost regularly.

Eenie had secured the area behind the water for their new "nest". View attachment 3608659
View attachment 3608666
I feel for you. I had one extremely stressful night when I blocked them out of their brooder. They were throwing themselves at walls and falling from great heights when they failed to get to the rafters. I nearly caved in but stuck with it. The next night was a bit disturbing but much better (I made some tweaks) and now all is well and they have 'their place'.
Mind you, Sylvie and Piglet look to be disrupting everything again by challenging Bernie at roosting time but I think all is OK.

Just an idea I'll throw out there - you can mix the proper ratio ahead of time for her, & store in a metal feed container. This is what I've done for DH to feed our cat. Big Boy is switching from one special feed to another, and we need to keep the calories per serving the same. Portioned out by weight but all mixed up, he just needs to serve a scoop for each meal.

Pony Sunday - I think this is a pony? Love the mane and tail! I think he was standing there trying to let the wind keep the flies off. Then he went for a roll. There's a chicken there too!
View attachment 3608605
View attachment 3608606
View attachment 3608607
View attachment 3608608
View attachment 3608611
The color on that pony, just wow

View attachment 3608666
Same thing happened when I tried to get Brownie and her chicks up off the ground. Chaos pure chaos. I’d lift Brownie up, turn round to get a chick and lift them up and inevitably before I could get them all Brownie hopped back down and the chicks would, of course follow her and it would start all over.
On the third night of this I thought I did it, I had Mama and all the chicks up on the roost and I smugly shut the door and swung my phone light round and down came Brownie followed by the babies who went directly to the tote on the ground. I did the same sad defeated walk back to house. Stubborn chickens!

Back
Top Bottom