Ok gentlefolk, I am off to bed my shoulder and neck are aching, I likely pulled something while hauling up pavers and removing stall wall boards but the chooks enjoyed the bugs so it was worth it 🐓

8FDCB760-E2F0-4A98-A1A3-BFBF2B034E30.jpeg

And the winter weather is still happening.

20231027_171238.jpg
Taken during a lull, next round visible in the background. Someone's having fun. Chooks refused to set foot outside yesterday. Left them closed in today, after refilling food and water supply. I'm pretty sure I saw a Pippa egg in there Wednesday afternoon. Haven't looked for eggs since. Once they venture forth again, we shall see where they're at. One good thing about this: hunker down and GROW THOSE FEATHERS!

And the winter weather is still happening.

View attachment 3669805Taken during a lull, next round visible in the background. Someone's having fun. Chooks refused to set foot outside yesterday. Left them closed in today, after refilling food and water supply. I'm pretty sure I saw a Pippa egg in there Wednesday afternoon. Haven't looked for eggs since. Once they venture forth again, we shall see where they're at. One good thing about this: hunker down and GROW THOSE FEATHERS!
This is a wonderful photo! 💕💕💕💕

I see an Australorp and a Easter egger, but what breed are the top two? You have beautiful chickens! 🥰
Thank you :) those are my original crew, I got them as chicks from Alchemist Farms in their mystery box. All but three were girls I got very lucky 🍀. I feel fair certain I have the breeds correct now but it took me some time to riddle it out with tons of help from all the fluffy butt folks! ❤️

The black butt is Brownie: French Black Copper Maran
The one with the black crest, Doodle: “fancy EE” called an Azure Egger
The all white butt is either Flour or Sugar cannot quite tell in this picture but they are both: Moss Eggers (2nd or 3rd gen Olive eggers)
The brown butt is Cinnamon or Ginger: Welsummer
The dark grey with fuzzy cheeks is Peanut: Ameraucana

OK so on my bike ride today I stopped to talk to a wonderful lady neighbor who keeps chickens and bees, and I guessed two of the pullets she got this year, very nice brownish very speckled hens, were Speckled Sussex. They look just like yours in the color and speckled-ness, at least from a little distance, and they didn’t have quite the shape it seemed to be Jubilee Orpingtons. Very small unnoticeable combs, which I should have paid more attention to! I was wrong - she said our other neighbor, who knows a ton about chickens, and knows the fellow from whom the first got these (350 chickens of all different kinds), tells her these look like they are “Orloffs.” I looked it up…..So now there is yet another breed to confuse these other breeds with! 🤦‍♀️

These chickens are young hens, and not nearly fully grown yet - and as I watched them move, one did have a very slight over-puffiness in the neck and something about her face looked different, almost eel-like, so I think it is the beginnings of a beard and maybe muffs. I’ll get pictures soon.

Here’s a BYC focus thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/russian-orloffs.297764/
Those are very pretty, I bet they would do wonderfully in cold weather climates.

So, now we have three mahogany base with speckles 😱
Speckled Sussex
Jubilee Orpington- American version smaller and pointed tail and English version rounded tail, larger
Russian Orloff - fuzzy face, rose comb, super puffy hackle feathers

Back
Top Bottom