Update on broody girl:
This was what was in the nest:
View attachment 3757093

There were 14 eggs in there, and all but 2 I am pretty sure were hers.

that said, that means 3-4 weeks of laying -as she is an older girl...so all but 2 had definitely been frozen, 2 were questionable. plus, there is NO WAY she can cover 14 eggs, especially now that in her older years, her egg size has increased. Dark Cornish as squat, compact girls with hard feathering. 6 is good, 8 is an absolute max for those size eggs. I removed them, marked and replaced the 2 that might be okay, and added 5 that were laid today by other girls. We will see how she does. (btw, I'm disappointed that none of her other 2 siblings laid today - I like my DC crosses, which is why I kept the two that may well be ruined - just in case.:fl - I'm hoping at least one hatches - and it is a girl!!!) (Oh, and yes, I added bedding - she wasn't at all happy I disturbed her nest - butI did this when she got off to eat and drink.)

I put in 2 from my EE girls who are penned with my ee boy. I put in one pale green egg, one welsummer egg, and 1 BR egg. These last 3, the girls could have been mated with any one of a number of boys (1/2 EE, 1/2 Red Star Roo; 1/2 DC/ 1/2 EE Roo; BR roo, or my newbies: blue egg layer boy (can't remember his breed? prairie blue bell egger? got him in a straight run batch for $1 clearance when I bought some to put under my broody girls) and my dark young black roo who also came in a clearance run from TSC. The straight run was marked 'Marans', but the girls, if they are marans, are not laying dark like they should, nor are they any where near as heavy as my french black copper marans (though the coloring is similar, they only weigh half what my other girls weigh - they could still put on some weight, but not that much!) So, we will see what happens. March 16th will be the day to 'watch'
You have a broody! :woot
I hope nothing happens to the rest of those eggs!

Mine either kick gold balls out of the nest, or ignore them. The fake eggs, they leave alone and DO tend to be more likely to lay in a nest with them versus a nest with a gold ball! That said, I find with the young ones just coming into lay - golf balls help over nothing. Not so much with my older, more experienced girls. :idunno :idunno
If I had gold balls I would not put them in a nest box.

Just saying.

My poor little Pippy! Late today, she laid this monstrosity. 93 grams, soft shell, and thank goodness it came out!
View attachment 3757397
I'll be giving her calcium pills for the next few days.
I’ve been giving my old BR gal a quartet tablet of calcium every other night for a while now. She was laying brittle shelled eggs. Not sure if she is still laying any eggs but I haven’t found any brittle ones. Or soft ones. At least not brown ones, someone is laying brittle green ones.

How ar
Update on broody girl:
This was what was in the nest:
View attachment 3757093

There were 14 eggs in there, and all but 2 I am pretty sure were hers.

that said, that means 3-4 weeks of laying -as she is an older girl...so all but 2 had definitely been frozen, 2 were questionable. plus, there is NO WAY she can cover 14 eggs, especially now that in her older years, her egg size has increased. Dark Cornish as squat, compact girls with hard feathering. 6 is good, 8 is an absolute max for those size eggs. I removed them, marked and replaced the 2 that might be okay, and added 5 that were laid today by other girls. We will see how she does. (btw, I'm disappointed that none of her other 2 siblings laid today - I like my DC crosses, which is why I kept the two that may well be ruined - just in case.:fl - I'm hoping at least one hatches - and it is a girl!!!) (Oh, and yes, I added bedding - she wasn't at all happy I disturbed her nest - butI did this when she got off to eat and drink.)

I put in 2 from my EE girls who are penned with my ee boy. I put in one pale green egg, one welsummer egg, and 1 BR egg. These last 3, the girls could have been mated with any one of a number of boys (1/2 EE, 1/2 Red Star Roo; 1/2 DC/ 1/2 EE Roo; BR roo, or my newbies: blue egg layer boy (can't remember his breed? prairie blue bell egger? got him in a straight run batch for $1 clearance when I bought some to put under my broody girls) and my dark young black roo who also came in a clearance run from TSC. The straight run was marked 'Marans', but the girls, if they are marans, are not laying dark like they should, nor are they any where near as heavy as my french black copper marans (though the coloring is similar, they only weigh half what my other girls weigh - they could still put on some weight, but not that much!) So, we will see what happens. March 16th will be the day to 'watch'
Hpw are you managing the security issue in the old barn? Can you somehow put a cage of sorts around her?

Gosh baby fever seems to be taking hold !!!

If I had gold balls I would not put them in a nest box.

Just saying.
But just think…. What safer place for one’s gold could there be? For instance if I wanted to hide valuables, I would put it in the horses stalls or in a nest box - who is going to look for valuables in poop?!

But just think…. What safer place for one’s gold could there be? For instance if I wanted to hide valuables, I would put it in the horses stalls or in a nest box - who is going to look for valuables in poop?!
Just imagine the treasure that might be buried under Mt Poopmore!!

Asian jungle fowl:
:idunno :gig IMG_4048.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom