This is the best post. I'm so glad you sent me back to it. I would have really missed something special.

I agree with you. Betty's integration is done and aside from my personal anxiety, it went really well. She has the perfect personality to join this lot. She is one determined hen.

As I said before, I saw no hawk. Hattie's behavior was more cold related I believe. There was no fear, just disgust with the wind. Hattie really does not like the wind inverting her feathers. She has always avoided the wind.
My girls hate the wind, too! I’m glad her reservation was just wind related. ❤️

Last edited:
I love the way your mind works and gives me these real things to think about. Please don't ever stop sharing them.

The coop was in the lee of the wind today. Right there in front of the coop there was no wind. She made the trip out in the wind to subdue Sydney and then went right back. (I now think Sydney was teasing her about hiding from the wind so Hattie reminded her who is boss) I really think this was all wind related. Hattie just doesn't like her feathers ruffled.

As far as other birds go, today we saw 2 doves and a crow. That's it. ☹
Let's celebrate the crow! There must be some of its crow friends aroundabouts.

I love the way your mind works and gives me these real things to think about. Please don't ever stop sharing them.

The coop was in the lee of the wind today. Right there in front of the coop there was no wind. She made the trip out in the wind to subdue Sydney and then went right back. (I now think Sydney was teasing her about hiding from the wind so Hattie reminded her who is boss) I really think this was all wind related. Hattie just doesn't like her feathers ruffled.

As far as other birds go, today we saw 2 doves and a crow. That's it. ☹
Speaking of other birds, today there was what I thought was a large bird of prey, but then I realized there were ten more like it, so it must gave been a turkey vulture (I’m blind when they are way up there.) There was also a large flock of doves hanging around. Pretty sure they were doves, not pigeons, since I didn’t hear the loud flapping the pigeons make. Then, of course, are all the little songbirds, jays, etc. Not a hawk in sight (except the one on the fence at work!)

Speaking of other birds, today there was what I thought was a large bird of prey, but then I realized there were ten more like it, so it must gave been a turkey vulture (I’m blind when they are way up there.) There was also a large flock of doves hanging around. Pretty sure they were doves, not pigeons, since I didn’t hear the loud flapping the pigeons make. Then, of course, are all the little songbirds, jays, etc. Not a hawk in sight (except the one on the fence at work!)
That's wonderful. Knock on wood but I have not seen one since the last time I posted on them here. I'm not certain how long that has been. At least a month, maybe 6 weeks.

Winner Winner have some Chickens over to share Dinner!

maybe a big salad 🤷‍♂️

8 people entered the "guess who laid the eggs" contest from the other day. I must point out that only 1 Aussie participated. Way to represent @Scrambles83

We had 3 correct guesses out of the 8. Everyone who picked Betty, sorry she has not laid yet. She is obviously interested but not quite ready.

Of all things Phyllis has stopped laying in the Cluckle Hut and is now laying in the main coop.

The 3 layers were, Aurora (her 1st of the year), Sydney, and Phyllis.

Those with the winning guess were @rural mouse @Scrambles83 @RebeccaBoyd

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::highfive::celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

@Ribh @LozzyR @Aussie-Chookmum @MaryJanet @micstrachan @ChicoryBlue

Yes mine are at 48" also, I just worry about the old gal and my 3 silkies.
I keep mine lower, much lower… and still have issues with some of the heavier girls and Chunk (if you ever see an “i” in that name instead of the u forgive me, that’s not a word I use except very rarely in terms of log cabin building… I don’t know why my phone is so fond of it) my highest roosts are 30” off the ground if I’m not running deep bedding in there 18” on the lower ends over the bunks in the trailer. I really try to minimize flying and jumping down because of the meat bird breeding hold backs. 13lb chickens are NOT meant for flying or jumping!

Back
Top Bottom