Did Betty Lay?

She was acting like she wanted to lay. Here was Aurora's egg in the nest box earlier today. Look how pink!

View attachment 2999226

Notice how Aurora has removed all straw from the nest box so it's just the way she likes it.

Here is what I found at dusk.
View attachment 2999231

That's right, 1 white, 1 pink, 1and 1 beige. The white one is a polish egg. Is it Betty or Phyllis?

Let's compare. It weighs exactly the same as Phyllis egg from Thursday, 50g.

However, it does not seem to be quite as white as Phyllis' eggs. Here are 3, 2 known Phyllis eggs and the egg from today.

View attachment 2999240

To me it seems a little creamier than Phyllis' eggs. What does everybody else think?

Is that egg from a different hen?

@Ribh @LozzyR @MaryJanet @Aussie-Chookmum @micstrachan @ChicoryBlue
I would say it's an egg from a different hen.

Did Betty Lay?

She was acting like she wanted to lay. Here was Aurora's egg in the nest box earlier today. Look how pink!

View attachment 2999226

Notice how Aurora has removed all straw from the nest box so it's just the way she likes it.

Here is what I found at dusk.
View attachment 2999231

That's right, 1 white, 1 pink, 1and 1 beige. The white one is a polish egg. Is it Betty or Phyllis?

Let's compare. It weighs exactly the same as Phyllis egg from Thursday, 50g.

However, it does not seem to be quite as white as Phyllis' eggs. Here are 3, 2 known Phyllis eggs and the egg from today.

View attachment 2999240

To me it seems a little creamier than Phyllis' eggs. What does everybody else think?

Is that egg from a different hen?

@Ribh @LozzyR @MaryJanet @Aussie-Chookmum @micstrachan @ChicoryBlue
I think my youngster will lay in the next few days, she is sqwaking like she wants to lay....hope it's today or tomorrow when I am home to make sure she knows to lay in the nest box. I worry the older hens will prevent her from laying there.

A little excitement at bedtime. One of Red's sons decided he would try to sleep with dad and his ladies. Dad raised he!! and threw him out. No blood drawn and hopefully a lesson learned. Red strutted around the run afterwards showing he's still the king.View attachment 2999295
I love that white tail! Very splashy!

Well better get cracking here, calling for high winds again today, but they are saying +3 as opposed to the -12 yesterday! Hopefully get my hay and get groceries, almost tempted to go shopping before the sun gets up and the wind picks up!

Weather whining tax 🙂

IMG_20220217_093859.jpg

It could be Phyllis at the beginning of the colour cycle… sometimes they can lay slightly darker after a day or two off or first thing in spring, some of my Marans crosses can do some whacky paint jobs, occasionally I get one that looks half dipped in darker colour on the fat end and lighter on the pointy with a distinct line… I’ll snag a pic if it happens again. And Tailless will vary quite dramatically in number and density of her dots
Which color do you prefer out of your Marans, the solid dark egg or the speckled egg? I've noticed with mine I really have 2 different lines going on here. Holly and Bunny who have the feathered feet produce solid darker eggs. The clean leg line, Daisy when she lays, Corona, Baby, and when she was alive their mother Clover produce heavily speckled eggs. Personally for me while I love them both, I like the speckled ones just a tiny bit better. Each one is so different.

Which color do you prefer out of your Marans, the solid dark egg or the speckled egg? I've noticed with mine I really have 2 different lines going on here. Holly and Bunny who have the feathered feet produce solid darker eggs. The clean leg line, Daisy when she lays, Corona, Baby, and when she was alive their mother Clover produce heavily speckled eggs. Personally for me while I love them both, I like the speckled ones just a tiny bit better. Each one is so different.
I think the speckled eggs are just gorgeous!

It's an Invasion!

It is cold in the Cluckle Hut this morning but that didn't stop the big girls.

20220220_081512.jpg

The big girls decided to spend the morning in the Cluckle Hut. Including Lilly!

The Polish ladies do not seem happy about this development.

Meanwhile Aurora just wants to lay her egg.
Coop Cam_20220220_82356.jpg

Back
Top Bottom