Lovely cat!
No, miconazole is against fungi=thrush=candida=sour crop.
The fenbendazole is against worms and should kill roundworms whereever they are in the gut. It is possible that the reason she got blocked up is that she had a lot of worms and they died with her first dose of fenbendazole and the blockage is dead worms.
:sick
I have been looking for worms in her poo and haven't seen any but as she is out and about I may have missed them.
There can be those worms in the proventriculus, I think I read "flubendazole" for worms there, and wondered if miconazole was similar. So it is not. Hoping she can clear them out :fl

Good to know. I need to cut back the grass is the hen run my poor Silkies keep getting lost in the tall grass hahaha. Also if as you say some grass can cause impaction then I need to prevent that.
I was just reading about gizzards & the proventriculus…said remove cut grass or let it rot before you put chickens on that pasture. The long bits are a problem. So leave it long, so they will only nip off the tops, or remove long grass you’ve cut.

I was just reading about gizzards & the proventriculus…said remove cut grass or let it rot before you put chickens on that pasture. The long bits are a problem. So leave it long, so they will only nip off the tops, or remove long grass you’ve cut.
I leave mine long and mostly they twist off the very tip or ignore it entirely because they prefer fresh young shoots.

Lovely cat!
No, miconazole is against fungi=thrush=candida=sour crop.
The fenbendazole is against worms and should kill roundworms whereever they are in the gut. It is possible that the reason she got blocked up is that she had a lot of worms and they died with her first dose of fenbendazole and the blockage is dead worms.
:sick
I have been looking for worms in her poo and haven't seen any but as she is out and about I may have missed them.
That’s Big Boy. But the picture is of him looking at the woodchuck looking back at him- maybe seen only by zooming in….it’s at the corner of the deck, it popped up from exploring under the house, it is a newcomer we are trying to encourage to leave. I will try to get a zoomed crop of the picture.
I leave mine long and mostly they twist off the very tip or ignore it entirely because they prefer fresh young shoots.
That's what I've observed too. The older stuff is so tough and fibrous, good they don't like it!

That’s Big Boy. But the picture is of him looking at the woodchuck looking back at him- maybe seen only by zooming in….it’s at the corner of the deck, it popped up from exploring under the house, it is a newcomer we are trying to encourage to leave. I will try to get a zoomed crop of the picture.

That's what I've observed too. The older stuff is so tough and fibrous, good they don't like it!
I looked again and definitely see the woodchuck - looks like a big one and not for Big Boy to mess with!

I looked again and definitely see the woodchuck - looks like a big one and not for Big Boy to mess with!
Yes, it looks older and is hopefully an experienced one who recognized a danger. We think she/he was scoping out new territory. We placed a camouflaged Hav-A-Hart in front of an access point, and then Big Boy spotted him/her. No sign of it today.

Big Boy is a rescued housecat, a watcher, and can barely / never catch anything live (he prefers fluffy toys and ping pong balls). I think he was taken from his mom too soon actually. He would watch mice steal his food, that's why we have an auto dispenser for each meal, besides for controlling his weight (food was his emotional comfort in his previous life). Now if he doesn't finish his kibble we have traps nearby and catch mice in spurts. We found how they were getting in and fixed it, and now they've found another way in.

This is why I was careful but never really had worries with Big Boy around the chickens, even as chicks, though I made sure he could never get at them while so little. I let him watch from a distance while I was with them in the brooder. He just wants to be where we are, so when I'm with the chickens he wants to hang out too and watch. He's very curious but a few hackle-up stand-offs, and a charge or two that sent him scampering, have made him very respectful. Now they tolerate him to slowly move among them, more or less, while I am around too.

He says hello, gets some snuggles from me, and usually goes through to the sidelines where he can watch for mice and chipmunks and watch the chickens too, but recently he managed to get a secret sniff of a fluffy butt while the hen was walking away. Maybe not so secret, but she trusted him enough. That was a long-time goal for him, I've seen him try to smell back there before and they've never let him get close enough. For their part, they've been very curious about his tail and have 1) bokked at it, or 2) tried to get close to inspect and maybe peck it.

So he has worked very hard to gain access, and his feelings get hurt when anybody decides to remind him he's not really in the club. Even if he has a grudgingly-given honorary membership due to my petition, it's probationary at best.

Last edited:
Won't be any long pieces I mulch it with the lawn mower 😊

Yes, it looks older and is hopefully an experienced one who recognized a danger. We think she/he was scoping out new territory. We placed a camouflaged Hav-A-Hart in front of an access point, and then Big Boy spotted him/her. No sign of it today.

Big Boy is a rescued housecat, a watcher, and can barely / never catch anything live (he prefers fluffy toys and ping pong balls). I think he was taken from his mom too soon actually. He would watch mice steal his food, that's why we have an auto dispenser for each meal, besides for controlling his weight (food was his emotional comfort in his previous life). Now if he doesn't finish his kibble we have traps nearby and catch mice in spurts. We found how they were getting in and fixed it, and now they've found another way in.

This is why I was careful but never really had worries with Big Boy around the chickens, even as chicks, though I made sure he could never get at them while so little. I let him watch from a distance while I was with them in the brooder. He just wants to be where we are, so when I'm with the chickens he wants to hang out too and watch. He's very curious but a few hackle-up stand-offs, and a charge or two that sent him scampering, have made him very respectful. Now they tolerate him to slowly move among them, more or less, while I am around too.

He says hello, gets some snuggles from me, and usually goes through to the sidelines where he can watch for mice and chipmunks and watch the chickens too, but recently he managed to get a secret sniff of a fluffy butt while the hen was walking away. Maybe not so secret, but she trusted him enough. That was a long-time goal for him, I've seen him try to smell back there before and they've never let him get close enough. For their part, they've been very curious about his tail and have 1) bokked at it, or 2) tried to get close to inspect and maybe peck it.

So he has worked very hard to gain access, and his feelings get hurt when anybody decides to remind him he's not really in the club. Even if he has a grudgingly-given honorary membership due to my petition, it's probationary at best.
Oh my heart goes out to Big Boy!
I have one that was motherless too early and suckles on furry fabric - he is huge and it is sort of heartbreaking and cute at the same time to see him suckling on his fleece blanket. But he is a real hunter and quick as a flash. He specializes in chipmunks but gets a fair number of mice too. Over the years he has lost many of his teeth so if I get to them quick enough I can usually release a disgruntled but unharmed chipmunk from his jaws.

That means poor Minnie gets THREE syringe doses today. Poor girl. I decided to skip the coconut oil (unless she wants it) and the cellulase for today -
After re-reading your post, I realize that I read the treatment I looked up wrong (I thought it said cellulose...not cellulase) Cellulase is an enzyme that helps break down cellulose, no? I wonder if that will actually help Minnie or not. If the blockage is worms, that won't help break them down, will it?:confused: Can you put a 'more than normal' dose of ACV in her water to help break down the worms? Or see if she likes caffiene free coke-a cola? I have it stuck in my craw (pun intended) that the deceased worms are what is causing the blockage....due to the timing!

And, though I'm sure less than you, couldn't bear to think that that might cause her demise....too many worms, kill them, and they cause blockage that well... you know.:(

:smackto the darn (yes, I used a milder term than I was thinking) worms.

Back
Top Bottom