Honestly, directing the chickens to the area is going to be the most efficient. I used to go around picking Japanese beetles off all my roses and drowning them in a bucket. This season I don't think I saw a single one!
I agree, and I love nothing better to see chickens used in the way nature (and gardeners) intended, but the flock I tend belongs to a community garden and so my "charges" live about a mile from me. It would be pretty funny if I took out a pair of the girls as loaners for pest eradication...it'd be like a lending library trend. I'd best not open that can of worms.

I agree, and I love nothing better to see chickens used in the way nature (and gardeners) intended, but the flock I tend belongs to a community garden and so my "charges" live about a mile from me. It would be pretty funny if I took out a pair of the girls as loaners for pest eradication...it'd be like a lending library trend. I'd best not open that can of worms.

I’m just going to “borrow” these three chickens for my garden for pest control ... really i’ll Bring them back in two weeks!”

I’m just going to “borrow” these three chickens for my garden for pest control ... really i’ll Bring them back in two weeks!”

I was actually asked to do that by a friend with a big tick problem. I offered to help her get her own chickens. That ended that.

Chickie Hawk sounds like a character! I wish I knew his history with you, if you have posted it. :pop

I’m thinking I’m going to work on getting some more decent pictures of the all the boys then doing some little bio posts over on my own much neglected thread... the short version is:

Chickie Hawk was my only Olive Egger in my original order of hatching eggs. He was my first assisted hatch, and I agonized over him for a full day after he pipped and started to zip. He was also the most cuddly, friendly, personable chick in the batch. Surely my little Olive egger was a “she”? Eventually I had to admit that Chickie Chickie (named by a local little girl, after her dearly departed chicken) was a he. Then he got pecked on by one of my other Cockerels so I “rescued” my poor little sweet boy.

Turns out he had it coming, he became a total jerk, managed to draw blood biting my face, attacked me regularly and was on the “dinner list” for a long time... he eventually mellowed some, especially after I got him some lady friends of almost his own age. We now have a fairly good relationship, and he’s my current “big daddy chicken”, sire of most of my flock (due to his ladies age for breeding purposes), and his daughter are 50/50 split between Olive eggs and dark brown (not quite Marans dark but pretty deep!)

He’s also gorgeous, when he isn’t molting, and has that classic “Bad Boy” allure I suppose. I love him dearly, and am glad I pushed through his awful teenage and young adult attitude issues.

Edit to add correct video...

Last edited:
I’m thinking I’m going to work on getting some more decent pictures of the all the boys then doing some little bio posts over on my own much neglected thread... the short version is:

Chickie Hawk was my only Olive Egger in my original order of hatching eggs. He was my first assisted hatch, and I agonized over him for a full day after he pipped and started to zip. He was also the most cuddly, friendly, personable chick in the batch. Surely my little Olive egger was a “she”? Eventually I had to admit that Chickie Chickie (named by a local little girl, after her dearly departed chicken) was a he. Then he got pecked on by one of my other Cockerels so I “rescued” my poor little sweet boy.

Turns out he had it coming, he became a total jerk, managed to draw blood biting my face, attacked me regularly and was on the “dinner list” for a long time... he eventually mellowed some, especially after I got him some lady friends of almost his own age. We now have a fairly good relationship, and he’s my current “big daddy chicken”, sire of most of my flock (due to his ladies age for breeding purposes), and his daughter are 50/50 split between Olive eggs and dark brown (not quite Marans dark but pretty deep!)

He’s also gorgeous, when he isn’t molting, and has that classic “Bad Boy” allure I suppose. I love him dearly, and am glad I pushed through his awful teenage and young adult attitude issues.

He’s beautiful!

Yep, he's a good looking chap alright.
What you've written above is about where I am with roosters.
I learn't about roosters when I was a kid on my Uncles farm. At first, I got my pocket money by collecting the eggs from the free range chickens. You needed to be quick.:lol:
I can still remember the first one I handled.

He is indeed an impressive and handsome rooster. I’m glad he has come to an arrangement with you! May he have many years of flock management ahead of him.

Back
Top Bottom