Cohabitation Begins Tonight

@MaryJanet asked the question that I was about to answer.

I will be moving the new girls to the big coop tonight. I am home a solid week at this point so Mrs. BY Bob can assist without having to do. Hopefully by next Sunday we are together roosting in one happy coop. :thumbsup

I do need to replace the coop door battery first. The door did not open all the way today. The last thing I need is them trapped inside together tomorrow morning. :eek:
Sounds good! Hope it's not too full on. Is it worth waiting til Lily is settled before putting the new girls in?

Sounds good! Hope it's not too full on. Is it worth waiting til Lily is settled before putting the new girls in?

Lilly will never completely settle. As long as Hattie is around I think she will remain calm. They spent time with each other today without fighting occurring as long as Hattie was out.

I can always go back if I need to but I won't. It's time. I believe they are ready. Fighting will go on for a few more weeks. It will slow down now.

Frankly Lilly still beats up on Hattie on the rare occasion and it has been quite a while since Hattie was new.

It is Done

20200302_215702.jpg

Of course Phyllis jumped down before I could get the lantern out. She is now on the lower roost hidden behind big old Aurora.

Big Coop_03_02_2020 10_07_05PM.jpg

Yes, happy birthday! (Is there a notification or something that I missed?) If you’re 3/3 then you share a birthday with my mum! 🥳

I managed to catch it by chance. I had my coffee and had my eye's open. If you go to his profile page, you will see where other's before me were there too. ;)

I have made an observation between the last time I got new chooks and this time. When I got Bessie and Charlie, Lucy and Chickie were noticeably stressed. They were quite vocal over the two-week quarantine period. This time, the two of them plus Charlie have been pretty chilled. They could hear the newbies panicking when I grabbed and boxed them to clean the cage, they didn’t say a word and continued to sit and relax. Did they learn from last time? That suggests intelligence and memory.

I have made an observation between the last time I got new chooks and this time. When I got Bessie and Charlie, Lucy and Chickie were noticeably stressed. They were quite vocal over the two-week quarantine period. This time, the two of them plus Charlie have been pretty chilled. They could hear the newbies panicking when I grabbed and boxed them to clean the cage, they didn’t say a word and continued to sit and relax. Did they learn from last time? That suggests intelligence and memory.
Yes. I would agree. My oldest girls have now done 2 integrations & were very calm about the whole thing. That calmness filtered throughout the whole flock.

Back
Top Bottom