I really don't need it now for just 1 more chicken. But there it is. I'll use it to brood Sylvie but after that..... I don't really have a need. I could squeeze her in the main coop.
Might as well have it handy. You never know when it might be needed as a hospital.

I got an updated picture of Latte and his ladies from my friend.

FB_IMG_1628259864613.jpg

Every one is doing great!!

He won't. Mrs BY Bob has promised to not let me. Safety system.
Honestly, to me it's one of those things that just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should. I know it works out fine most of the time, but also there's a lot of chicks wasted. I'd rather waste eggs than chicks.

Much less risky to go and get the chicks next time, or do fertile eggs again.

One of the first things the mums I've known have tried to do at the ealiest opportunity is to have a bath. Most bath once a day when they are not broody so even a few days sat in straw and on eggs must make them feel dusty and itchy.
And that makes total sense when your chick can go 24 hours plus without nutrition!

Honestly, to me it's one of those things that just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should. I know it works out fine most of the time, but also there's a lot of chicks wasted. I'd rather waste eggs than chicks.

Much less risky to go and get the chicks next time, or do fertile eggs again.
You can't post live chicks in Aus anyway. They have to come via courier, which is much more direct & far safer. AUSPOST will do eggs. If I get as many persistent broodies this year as I did last I may consider it. The man was saying bantams can't cover as many eggs as a regular hen ~ but honestly, Wrold & Alpia were brooding together & managed to cover 8+ eggs between them. I kept removing eggs so I'm not sure how many they would have eventually managed. Then if they do what Ha'penny did & manage a deep V nest they can cover more than you would think. It's a dilemma.

You can't post live chicks in Aus anyway. They have to come via courier, which is much more direct & far safer. AUSPOST will do eggs. If I get as many persistent broodies this year as I did last I may consider it. The man was saying bantams can't cover as many eggs as a regular hen ~ but honestly, Wrold & Alpia were brooding together & managed to cover 8+ eggs between them. I kept removing eggs so I'm not sure how many they would have eventually managed. Then if they do what Ha'penny did & manage a deep V nest they can cover more than you would think. It's a dilemma.
I wouldn't hesitate to have eggs delivered at all. What about starting small, maybe six eggs, then you'll know whether the little hens can handle more eggs next time. And banty eggs are usually smaller anyway.

I wouldn't hesitate to have eggs delivered at all. What about starting small, maybe six eggs, then you'll know whether the little hens can handle more eggs next time. And banty eggs are usually smaller anyway.
My silly lot were sitting on the biggest eggs they could get! 🙄 Most places I've looked @ have a minimum of a dozen, which is more extra birds than I really need. I may have somewhere to send unwanted roosters...:( decisions, decisions...

Back
Top Bottom