I can't find the article I had previously read, but I read it 5-6 years ago when I first started with chickens. It mentioned increasing risk of egg binding (which scared me - that's why I remember that part). As previously said, it was an article, not a scientific study.

However, this clinical study from 2019 does mention stress (2nd most prevalent among other things) as a cause of cloacal egg binding/dystocia:
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ems-of-the-Domestic-Fowl-in-Zaria-Nigeria.pdf
I'll see if I can get a copy. I can't read the article on the site.
However, I agree that stress takes a massive toll on a chickens health.

That's very sad news.

But a relief for Mrs BYBob.
I would not quite call it a relief with the suspected Mareks diagnostic.

In addition to this finding, there were masses within the subcutaneous tissue along the neck and subjective thickening of the right sacral plexus which may suggest this chicken had Marek’s disease.

EDIT: Read farther on and saw that you meant their absence etc. Sorry.

Last edited:
Tonight there was no fuss with roosting. Popcorn went in early and roosted in the nest box. Everybody else followed shortly. This morning Peanut had laid an egg, the first egg in many days, and the first from her on a long time. She emerged tossing litter on her back and was very vocal. Maybe that's what it was the last few evenings? There was intermittent chasing throughout the day today, including some running that looked like play, going in and out and around about the run configuration in short bursts. Then they'd gather and preen and rest. I was out there with them all day so they came and went at will, sticking close by.
View attachment 2909654
View attachment 2909655
Hazel, she always stands and poses for me when I take my phone out.
I've got to ask now. What do you use to take such gorgeous pictures? My phone is well, useless and my camera is okay in good light but anything else it just won't cope with.
The hens are gorgeous to.

A couple of firsts for me today.
In the small hours of the morning the camera set to monitor for predators when they climb on the Chicken Palace sent an alert. Scary!

And now this afternoon we had high winds and hail. I actually got trapped by it in the Chicken Palace as the hail was really nasty. I sat and chatted to Minnie. But where was Maggie? Out in her pasture run eating the hail stones. She was picking them up like they were scratch grains.
:idunno
She is a strange one that chicken!
:lau

There is one of the main problems. Most Bantams still believe humans don't know anything about chickens and what makes a decent place for a good nights sleep. Every bantam I've known, not just in Spain, headed for a tree, barn roof joists and even large bushes in prefernce to a coop.
As Mag said to me one day, "why would I want to sleep with the smell of everyones shite in my nostrils when I can sleep in the fresh air".:hmm
I did start to try and point out some of potential hazards of tree roosting and before I had got very far he looked at me and said "are you trying to tell me fresh air is dangerous?"
I had to walk away.
Whilst Mag sounds very wise and knowledgeable, I don’t know if I could cope with my chickens roosting in the school tree every night and I don’t think I could construct a pole long enough.

A couple of firsts for me today.
In the small hours of the morning the camera set to monitor for predators when they climb on the Chicken Palace sent an alert. Scary!

And now this afternoon we had high winds and hail. I actually got trapped by it in the Chicken Palace as the hail was really nasty. I sat and chatted to Minnie. But where was Maggie? Out in her pasture run eating the hail stones. She was picking them up like they were scratch grains.
:idunno
She is a strange one that chicken!
:lau
Rabbit season!

I’m pretty sure there’s a version where there’s a chorus of Muppets shouting “LAAAAAAA LALALALAAAAAAA” but I can’t find it.

Ok, here’s my tax. My girls throughout the years.

The original duo, Lucy and Emily.
View attachment 2909127

Lucy, Henny Penny and Chickie (can’t tell who’s who from this shot).
View attachment 2909128

I think this is Chickie and Penny, according to the date of the photo.
View attachment 2909129

View attachment 2909132
View attachment 2909130

Baby Bessie and Charlie.
View attachment 2909135
View attachment 2909134

View attachment 2909136

The tribe keeping Bessie company when she was sick.
View attachment 2909137

Bessie taunting Jasper.
View attachment 2909138

View attachment 2909139

“The service here is terrible! Wake me when breakfast is served”. Still one of my favourite photos of Chickie, even though she was unwell.
View attachment 2909140
View attachment 2909141
View attachment 2909142

Tegan, Nyssa and River arrive.
View attachment 2909143
View attachment 2909144

As it’s Friday, here’s Nyssa’s fluffy butt.
View attachment 2909145
View attachment 2909146
View attachment 2909148

My only ever “roost-er”!
View attachment 2909152
View attachment 2909149
View attachment 2909151

Charlie doing her dinosaur impression.
View attachment 2909153

Charlie beakbooking Phyllis.
View attachment 2909154

Lucy, having got lighter in colour as she got older. (Bonus fluffy butt).
View attachment 2909155

View attachment 2909157
View attachment 2909156

Lap-chicken!

View attachment 2909213
Amazing tax!!! I’d say you’re prepaid for a bit!

Back
Top Bottom