Hi everyone. Ester isn’t feeling well. She’s standing around, has a poopy back end, does not seem to be eating much, and I think she is swollen. Not a good combination. Her posture is good while she is standing, but she is pretty inactive and (barely) scratches heartlessly.

It’s too cold to wash her bum, so I trimmed some feathers, gloved up, and pulled poop off. I also generously dusted her back end with cornstarch in hopes it would help me crumble the poop off (I think it helped).

I checked her crop when she went to roost and it was not empty. I hope that means she’s been eating when I’m not looking and not that it’s slow. I’ll check in the morning.

Her vent was VERY messy and tiny. I may bring her in for a couple hours tomorrow morning so I can properly wash her vent and surrounding area. A few months back she was messy in the back and seemed not to feel well, but was much better after I washed her off. I hope that’s what happened here… messy butt feathers backed her up, but I fear she has a reproductive problem. She never really came back into lay after her ordeal last winter at this exact same time.
Poor Ester! :fl Whatever the ultimate problem is, I am sure you will also make her more comfortable if poop has been sticking against her skin irritating it.

Lock was such an interesting chook.
I find all your chook observations interesting and educational Shad. You and BYBob and the others on this thread have really changed how I look at and manage my chickens. It's an ongoing and entertaining education.
What a compliment it is to be included in with @Shadrach You are being too kind ACM.

Everyone treats to death differently. While I can appreciate your point of view I need to disagree on a point.

I'm pretty sure it is not damaged "pride" that makes it hard for me personally when it have lost them in traumatic fashion. In fact, each loss has been very different for me emotionally. Depending upon circumstances and my relationship with the chicken involved, each has been different.

For me I like to respond to someone regarding the loss of their chicken in a way that respects their feelings. I do not know how they are going to be dealing with the loss and I'm trying to be supportive. How someone "should" feel and how someone "does" feel may not be congruent. I believe that it is not my place to tell people how they should feel. As I said before everyone deals with differently and I have no idea how anyone is dealing with any particular death.
I'm not telling people how they should feel. I'm trying to explain why those sorry for your loss messages are just something people say. They don't actually mean anything. It's one of those sayings like "have a nice day". The vast majority of people who say "have a nice day" couldn't give a monkeys what sort of day you have. It's part of the be nice culture.
Not all cultures are like this. This ime is an American thing and I'm not American.

For me I like to respond to someone regarding the loss of their chicken in a way that respects their feelings.
Well there you go. One short sentence, two possesive references and the only real loss is the chicken who lost its life.

I'm not telling people how they should feel. I'm trying to explain why those sorry for your loss messages are just something people say. They don't actually mean anything. It's one of those sayings like "have a nice day". The vast majority of people who say "have a nice day" couldn't give a monkeys what sort of day you have. It's part of the be nice culture.
Not all cultures are like this. This ime is an American thing and I'm not American.

Well there you go. One short sentence, two possesive references and the only real loss is the chicken who lost its life.
Im not exactly sure whats going on but, i would like to say something. as your right, many people who do say “im so sorry for your loss” is a bit of a automatic thing. It seems very wrong to go on without saying that, its just some respect given i suppose. that’s obviously not everyone, but me personally. When i say it to someone i dont say it automaticall, but more so genuinely sad for their loss, and more so if i actually knew the chicken. But yes, i normally would say something like she had a wonderful life, if she did of course, because that says that you took wonderful care of her and she did infact have a good life. Of course, if the chicken wasnt treated nicely (or any animal for that matter) then no, i wouldnt say that. Anyway sorry for the ramble! And apologies if i repeated something that was already said.

1F39DBB4-72FE-49F5-A0A1-C4D7F8E243DE.jpeg

Always looks so shocked when she lays one! If you zoom in by her legs you can see her egg.

Back
Top Bottom