This seems reasonable to me, esp as you saw her self-isolating a great deal, and not seeking out the others. I contrast that with Peanut, whom I see shivering out with everyone a lot but then periodically going back to the coop alone to stand on the heating pad, or back to the coop warmer under the coop, where often Hazel goes with her. You know what you were seeing, better than any of us can say. I think in this case being with you, her trusted rooster, inside and warm, would be familiar to her in a positive way, from last year. Both of you did not know for sure that would be her last night. Practice some compassion for yourself now (note to self here too) and minimize your regrets. She had many days of her chicken friend's and human rooster's companionship. Probably, for chickens, each day is not counted toward some ultimate tally, or thought of as a final special day; each day is the Now. She was with her rooster and warm in that Now. She died quickly and without having to endure more days of cold and pain. :hugs :hugs ❤️ ❤️
Thank you so much; that is helpful. ❤️

The basic problem @Shadrach wrestles with, I think, is the attempt to reconcile the reality of the lives of modern domestic chickens which now populate the planet worldwide in one form or another, with the assumed / believed reality of the lives of the original wild chickens from Southeast Asia or thereabouts (lives believed to resemble those of the "wild" chickens on Kauai and those persisting in parts of Southeast Asia). It is an attempt to find a balance that favors the chicken's best interests as a living being (what we perceive them to be).

So everyone's circumstance is necessarily going to make that reconciliation different as we all (here) basically try to give the chickens we care for "good lives." I've been pondering this in terms of domesticated cats and dogs, wondering if that paradigm is helpful in thinking about this.

Tax:
A very fluffy hen: PopcornView attachment 2948445
Well said. Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about my Border Collie, an active breed with high exercise and stimulation needs, who us stuck by herself inside the house if my husband and I are both at work when my daughter is at school. Even when they are home, they both pretty much just hang out in their bedrooms on their phones, so Lexi (the dog) is still pretty much on her own unless I’m home and take her outside to play fetch and supervise chickens.

:lau I once was all ready to add a frozen lump of something I thought was meat to a sauce, bit before I did it turned out to be cookie dough (molasses, so it was dark).
Tax:
Peanut is feathering out but still shivering, she can't really fluff up yet. Her wings are all scrawny still. She is sleek now, and she looks like a pullet. All legs and big feet!
That's Popcorn next to her, and Hazel behind her.
View attachment 2948368
View attachment 2948374
Awww, Peanut!

I think I am all caught up again. Hopefully I haven’t missed pages. I had a really wonderful day outside with the chickens. However, the resident hawk has been relentless and almost seems to be taunting them. It makes me sad for the girls because they don’t like to venture out like they used to. They definitely seem to feel safer when I am there, plus I had several lap visits. Here are a few flockservations:

• Bridgey does NOT like the cold.
• Buttercup has a mild respiratory issue (J could hear it when she lap sat.
• Cashew is about to start laying again soon (squatted for me once today, visited the nest box, and has been doing her cute growly chatter)
• Minnie, Flo, Sunshine, Bridge, Cashew and Buttercup all want my attention. Roxy is starting to show interest, as well. Lucky is molting, but did visit my lap briefly. Flash does NOT want to be handled, but does come around me. Minnie does not want my attention, and us getting pretty bossy with those she outranks. All good signs!
• A dog I don’t know was nearby today. Lexi chased it off. The chickens were clueless.

:drool

Here too it has been nasty and soggy but we are also having a short break from the rain right now.
Everyone is covered in mud (including me).
Mine got venison loin, chopped cilantro, coconut oil, and blueberries.
Diana and Maggie are very efficient at consuming chunks of venison. Bambi beware!
Maggie is an established big game hunter.

Back
Top Bottom