WiFi cameras are what they call a peer-to-peer system, when you start you camera's application to view the camera, it sends out a signal to your camera to 'wake it up' so you can view it. It doesn't run continuosly unless you are watching it continuosly.

WiFi camera required a power source to run it, when it says 'wireless' it means it has no network cable you still need a power cable. My new outdoor PTZ (pan tilt zoom) camera is wifi and it's signal is unreliable, I will be getting some network cable to direct connect to my router.
View attachment 2983952

FYI using a network cable is a more stable signal than wifi. Most WiFi camera will have an option for a network cable (ethernet cable). This is what I did with my aisleway barn camera the wifi signal sucked, so I connected it with a network cable to my router and no further issues. Only problem is two cable runs, 1 for power which thankfully my stalls all have outlets, and the second cable the network cable.
View attachment 2983955

U will also see POE cameras (Power Over Ethernet). These are the cameras I prefer. You do not need a.power cable with POE cameras, the ethernet (network cable) cable you connect to the camera carries both power and the signal for the cameras video and sound. You will need a special POE switch to plug the ethernet cable into which supplies the power. This POE switch is then connected to your router. I have my hen house cam which is POE, it never goes down I can always see it's video and I only needed the one cable run.
View attachment 2983953
Thank you very much, this is pretty thorough and informative, a little class on the basics, thanks! :bow

And then there are the Arlo cameras that @RoyalChick and I use which are:
  1. battery powered
  2. connected wirelessly to a base station which is connected to your home router
  3. accessed via an app or website so can be seen wherever you are
  4. Can be set to
    1. Run continuously
    2. Turn on when motion is detected
    3. Turned on manually only when you want to look through them
  5. on the base plan, available with no monthly fee.
  6. Videos and photos are stored locally on a flash drive inserted into the base station on the free plan
Thank you too, this is very helpful! :bow
I had been to their web site last year and also read questions on Amazon about it, and still couldn't come up with this list you just made. Ah, so with the base plan you use the app and not the web site to access (& no rent to pay for cloud storage)?

I will have to decide on whether powerless with batteries (likely) or not, as I think I can get power out there for both the summer and winter locations, but I'm sure I can't run ethernet or hard-wire LAN stuff out there like @Ponypoor does, it will need to be wireless. I just found out from DH that the thing we have for getting our cell-based wifi is a "coffee can" situation and it does have LAN sockets on the side which we are not using, so I could plug a base station into it. The limitation might be distance from the coop to the base station.

I love the first shot of Phyllis! I would think it counter-intuitive...but they cock their tail the same way as their head. I can sometimes predict which way they will go (when trying to corner them for something that can't wait until dark) by which way their tail turns...that is the way they are going next!!!!
I've noticed that too, look at the tail and that's where they're about to go.

My experience is Momma accepts them if the timing is right....i.e. not a week into sitting...but around the time hers would hatch or shortly thereafter. However, if hers hatch...it needs to be IMMEDIATELY. Some will accept added chicks later, some won't. I had a great hen that I 'ruined'. She hatched 5, and local TSC had chicks on sale (starting to get wing feathers, so had to go) Hers were 3+ weeks old, bought 23 chicks 2 wks old for 10 cents each (some were to go to my neighbor, but in a couple days). She accepted all 23 newbies! (The look she gave me was " Oh, S*#t!):eek: However, she has never gone broody since...and I've kept her...she is almost 5 years old, and she went broody her first year....so following 3 years, nothing...I broke her:hit She was such a good Momma, too.:(
I find it hard to believe what you did affected her propensity to go broody. Is this really true, or coincidence?

1. Doritos chips can be used as kindling for a fire when camping out. (They will burn for quite a bit) šŸ”„
2. A wayward hen, can stop the United States Pentagon in their tracks! And become an internet sensation. :lau
3. If itā€™s really cold outside, stay inside! :old
4. I am proof positive, that chickens will make you crazy! šŸ¤Ŗ
5. Memory loss is natural as we age!
6. I forgot what #6 was supposed to be. :he

Thank you too, this is very helpful! :bow
I had been to their web site last year and also read questions on Amazon about it, and still couldn't come up with this list you just made. Ah, so with the base plan you use the app and not the web site to access (& no rent to pay for cloud storage)?

I will have to decide on whether powerless with batteries (likely) or not, as I think I can get power out there for both the summer and winter locations, but I'm sure I can't run ethernet or hard-wire LAN stuff out there like @Ponypoor does, it will need to be wireless. I just found out from DH that the thing we have for getting our cell-based wifi is a "coffee can" situation and it does have LAN sockets on the side which we are not using, so I could plug a base station into it. The limitation might be distance from the coop to the base station.
It is important which generation base station you get. If you are really going to go this route I can provide specifics. You can do this a little cheaper these days by purchasing refurbished cameras on Amazon and an older used base station.

A complete refurbished Arlo series 2 system with 4 cameras is going for $399. Considering each camera is over$100 refurbished that's a pretty good price. You can also find them on eBay now. I upgraded my Series 1 base station to a series 2 by getting a used one off of eBay for$40.

https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Arlo...=1644077155&sprefix=Arlo+pro+2,aps,130&sr=8-5

You can use the app and web site to view the cameras regardless of pay or no pay service plan. You will need to pay a service fee if you want online storage. I'm paying $4.23/month for online storage and more cameras. I finally started paying because the free version limits your cameras to no more than 4. I have set up 6 at this point.

@WhoDatChick Do you have to worry about sunburn on his naked neck? Or, due to it being constantly exposed, it is okay - like a comb or wattle - in the sun???:idunno:idunno
I hate to inform you that Sista Whodat has not really been seen around these parts since just after the hurricane hit her property. She was fine but it seems BYC is no longer part of her day. It is unlikely you will hear back from her.

She was one of my favorite people on here and I miss her greatly. šŸ˜”

Back
Top Bottom