Lancaster got back to me. Unfortunately SHIPPING on the coop I was interested in would be $3100. That’s more than the cost of the coop itself. Bummer! I wanted it!

There are a couple local guys who build coops, but one is $100 per hour. I saw a photo if a BEAUTIFUL coop/run combo he built, but it cost them about $10K. That’s not going to happen, either.

I’ll try the other guy, but it’s looking like I’m back to either the OverEZ coop or a shed. I would like to see photos of the inside of the OverEZ XL coop.
Have you tried your local Craigslist?

No, I didn't use treats but it's still a possibility for Hazel, though Hazel's strategy of going alongside when someone else eats is working just fine for her. Just train them first thing in the morning when they're hungriest, they figure it out fast - what to do to get food and how to do it.

It seemed to me they were initially confused about the sudden lack of food available, then afraid of the new situation I was introducing them to, bu the food was a big pull. They were also responding to me encouraging them - they know and trust me to show them good things to eat and what's involved in getting it. Maybe that helps. I kept making encouraging sounds, so they'd go away too wary but come back when I called, and kept giving it a go. I trained them every two hours, and tried to make sure everyone got a bit to eat every time they stepped on the treadle, and I made sure everyone got a chance at it.

On the second day it got bitter cold and I interrupted training and let everyone eat out of their old feeder and my hand too, plus they got the chop veggies.

I looked at the feeder you're getting, looks good for small bantams and small ducks too. They don't really explain the three-stage pin. Does it prop it open a bit so they get used to standing on the treadle but the door doesn't move, or is open and just moves a little? Let us know how that goes! I guess I did it manually, pushing it open a bit and lowering the step, but I introduced the moving door at the same time, I wanted them to get used to it all right away with me there, kind of rip the band-aid off all at once approach, so I didn't prop it open.

I think either method will work to the same end. I don't know if doing it in stages takes longer. It took these guys about two training days - but there's the Hazel factor, who still doesn't open it on her own. It depends on the birds!

Watch the sides, they say those are side guards but if it were me I'd be prepared to put some blocks up.
From what Ribh tells me, yes the training pin props the door open a lot, and then a little, and then you remove it completely. How long at each stage depends on the hens' aptitude.

It closes softly, which ought to take a lot of risk out of the sides.

Sorry Bob
IMG_20220208_104344757.jpg

good job Plati!

IMG_20220207_234816274.jpg

It's a wonder I get any real work done hahaha. And when I am talking with other businesses on the phone Pangoo starts crowing like a maniac 😁 I have to explain the rooster, why I am working in the barn and how chickens lay eggs almost every day!
😂 I had the same problem when calling the shops about our trucks! Or anything else for that matter… “is that a chicken???” Yes, and if you would like one, I can bring you a rooster or two… but do you also have this issue?
7E891139-9F73-493E-9D44-B24654C8E11C.jpeg

I have to disconnect the battery when I park, it’s old and there’s a phantom load… leave the door open for 2 seconds and they are in! I alway have any guests check their vehicles for chickens before leaving… they will hop in open windows, backs of trucks, and you dare not leave a trunk or hatch back open!

I do think that @Kris5902 posted that she had ordered from Gouldians before. Is that right Kris?
I can go ahead and get the amoxy-tyl from there. But what about the discrepancy in the dose of each thing in the amoxy-tyl? 10g tylosin, 15g amoxicillin is what you have, they say here what they are offering is 30g tylosin, 15g amoxicillin, with a picture of the bag that you linked to.

Back
Top Bottom