I keep thinking I'm going to hit my head on that cross beam in the run and knock myself out, fall into the run, and be devoured slowly by the little raptors.
Why do you think I designed the Chicken Palace to be full height. Sure it helps the chickens with ventilation and it makes it a nice place to hang out and chat, but the real reason is so that I am never in danger of hitting my head and getting devoured.
It is important to understand your audience!

:lau

Why do you think I designed the Chicken Palace to be full height. Sure it helps the chickens with ventilation and it makes it a nice place to hang out and chat, but the real reason is so that I am never in danger of hitting my head and getting devoured.
It is important to understand your audience!

:lau
What a fool I was when I designed the run to be shorter than the fence. 😆

I collect a bowl of the beetles and throw them on the barn floor, they go crazy! The beetles that fly off get stuck in the screen doorway so the chickens get entertainment catching those also.
We had a batch of chicks in the garage in August.....grasshoppers everywhere outside.... caught and loaded a large canning jar full....shook out in the middle of the garage.....LOOK OUT!!! Little peepers everywhere!

We had a batch of chicks in the garage in August.....grasshoppers everywhere outside.... caught and loaded a large canning jar full....shook out in the middle of the garage.....LOOK OUT!!! Little peepers everywhere!
What a joy to see.

Last Night's Roosting

Lilly and Hattie arrived home from the vet yesterday after dark. As I pulled in the driveway I realized that I had made a horrible mistake.

When I gathered up Lilly and Hattie to go to the vet, I had dropped the the door separating the big run and Cluckle Hut from the main coop. In my desire to get going, I had not raised that door.

That meant at roosting time, Sydney and Aurora were not able to get home and needed to find lodging elsewhere. For some reason, I imagined the both of them on Maleficent's roost. I was wrong.

This is what I found.

View attachment 2996630

Poor Betty had roosted on the porch.

At first I thought it would have been fascinating to see what happened but actually it was likely so disturbing that no one needs to see it.

So I moved everyone to where they should be and Hattie and Lilly roosted together.

View attachment 2996639

I took the opportunity to weigh both Sydney (2.69 kg 5.93 lbs) and Aurora (2.91 kg 6.41 lbs). I weighed Hattie but realized too late that I had the scale set wrong.

@Ribh @MaryJanet @Aussie-Chookmum @LozzyR @micstrachan @ChicoryBlue @Shadrach
Poor Betty. I’m glad you were home in time to rescue her. Cute that Lilly and Hattie roosted together again. ❤️

I think weighing is a great idea and need to start that up again myself. In the past when I tracked weight I didn’t have a scale for them, so there was a lot of error. At the time, I was not worried about the weight gain, but probably should have been.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-weight-chart.1299918/#post-21166640

Back
Top Bottom