Ezzie got a surprise for her 1 week birthday, 6 new sisters. We went to tractor supply first, the only "pullets" they had were Sapphire Gems, Barred Rock and Easter Eggers. They did have Buff orps but they were straight run. Mom decided I could not be trusted picking out hens so we decided to try Rural King. They had Rhode Island Reds, Buff orps and Cinnamon Queen pullets. I had been talking to mom about the Cinnamon Queens being a production breed, and potential future issues. Before we went into the store I thought I had her convinced to pass on them. We get to the chicks, look them over, I'm confident she's getting 3 Buffs and 3 Rhode Island reds. The lady comes to get the chicks for us and what does she choose? 3 Buffs and 3 Cinnamon Queens :th. I learned my lessen right then and there, if I ever have to buy chicks again do NOT let my mom have any say whatsoever in it.

Here is Ezzie and her siblings. The Buffs are named "Nellie" and the Cinnamon Queens are named "Granny". Again, that is my mothers doing. Can you all spot Ezzie in the group?
View attachment 3004977View attachment 3004978
Well, you know what you’re getting into with the cinnamon queens, so you know what to expect and watch out for. It’s heartbreaking for us, but they will probably have a far longer and happier life with you than some potentially unprepared impulse purchaser.

Well, you know what you’re getting into with the cinnamon queens, so you know what to expect and watch out for. It’s heartbreaking for us, but they will probably have a far longer and happier life with you than some potentially unprepared impulse purchaser.
Your right, I know the future potential problems. I will say it here once publicly "I did not want Cinnamon Queens or any other production breeds." Ok, that being said, before we picked up the 6 new chicks we had 22 total chickens. Of those, how many did my mother choose? 1, that is right, she chose 1 out of my 22 chickens, Butter. I've chosen every other breed or mix I own. She loves several of them, likes others and tolerates the silkies. We had already came to a agreement that if we MUST buy siblings for Ezzie and not sell Ezzie she got to choose the breeds. Now that that is cleared up, while I did not want them, I will love them and give them the best life possible. Production issues will always be in the back of my mind, but, it does not automatically mean that 2 years is all I will get with them.

What's the issue with them?

Lilly Update

The vet called at 7:30 pm tonight to discuss Lilly. She was consulting on Lilly because because the lab results showed nothing abnormal.

Nothing

After consultation, they have determined that they believe that Lilly has colitis. We are going to do another dose of time release doxycycline and put her on Metacam for inflammation. I will be taking her to the vet for 10:30 am to get her shot.

Overall, provided they are correct, this is a good diagnosis. We can cure this.

What a relief!

The Iron Beak is not done yet.

View attachment 3002216

@Ribh @MaryJanet @Aussie-Chookmum @LozzyR @Marie2020 @Shadrach @ChicoryBlue @micstrachan
Brilliant news Bob! I'm so happy for you both.
:bun:celebrate:bun

What's the issue with them?
They get all sorts of reproductive issues and die. Basically their breeding causes them to lay an egg pretty much every day and that causes the hens issues like cancers and issues in the reproductive tract.
They are very sweet natured and lovely hens but it just feels so awful that they were bred to be expendable and they die too young!
As I mentioned in an earlier post Diana is nearly three (I think she was a March 1st hatch so next week she turns three) and would generally be considered old for that breed.

Slid the barn door open... And thought hmmmm that shouldn't be there, esp in the winter!

A lovely browny-green egg - I picked it up - cold but not cracked so likely not frozen.

This was a surprise as mum had gone up earlier and no eggs. So I went to check nest boxes and a whole plethora of eggs! Including a small wee browny-green egg!

Now I am asking myself are these eggs from my two young gals??? It's egg-citing to think they are laying now 😊 I will have to keep an eye on them this weekend.

They get all sorts of reproductive issues and die. Basically their breeding causes them to lay an egg pretty much every day and that causes the hens issues like cancers and issues in the reproductive tract.
They are very sweet natured and lovely hens but it just feels so awful that they were bred to be expendable and they die too young!
As I mentioned in an earlier post Diana is nearly three (I think she was a March 1st hatch so next week she turns three) and would generally be considered old for that breed.
Oh how sad, I was just mentioning this to someone today about some breeds being created just to lay till they die ☹️

I am happy my silkies go broody and stop laying, tho not so happy they are bald from pulling feathers to line the nest 😲

Back
Top Bottom