Decade not nearly AA

We are not as creative with the name of our coop but our 11yr old daughter has already named all of our flock. 8 chicks as a start. We are hoping they will be producers of many fresh eggs. But that won't bear big one since our daughter will.enjoy caring for and watching the grow up and run around. Love the post!.
Welcome! My apologies should have said so earlier. This is an awesome site full of wonderful information.

Thanks for asking MJ, I was just starting an update.
I have been a bit absent on FBA because Minnie has taken a turn for the worse and I am needing to spend time with her.
I think I already reported that after the worming and starting the Corid she was already a bit on the mend and got quite perky. I think I posted that she stuffed her little face.
Well, she kept on stuffing her face and her crop wasn't clearing. I could see it ballooning before my very eye. She became like crop balloon with a small chicken attached.
It did not clear overnight so I initiated massage therapy. I am massaging 4-6 times a day for about 10-15 mins.
I decided to keep her in the hospital ward because I wanted to restrict her food intake.
It has now turned to full-on sour crop. You can hear the bubbling and smell the yeast. I wasn't sure I would be able to tell from the descriptions, but you can definitely tell.
My massage has made it go down a bit but not much. I initiated Miconazole treatment this evening.
I am giving her tiny amounts of chick starter food and she has been eating grit (does grit work in the crop - I thought it was more of a gizzard thing?).
My understanding is that this is almost always a symptom of some underlying disease so even if I clear it I believe her prognosis is poor.
Absolute best case is that I clear it and that the underlying medical issue was the worms or coccidia and everything is fine. I am not sure that is a probable outcome because even the worms and coccidia problem suggests she is more suscptible than the others. Diana never even got diarrhea, Maggie and Dotty have/had diarrhea but seem to take it in their stride. Only Minnie got really sick.
So, I am sad, but not willing to give up on her yet. She is surprisingly OK in herself. She sleeps a lot but wakes up and chats to the tribe from the hospital bed. And, as when I did this with her before, she seems to like the crop massage. She relaxes when I do it and then suddenly has had enough and I let her go.
She is drinking so that is good at least.
Poor Minnie.
I'm so sorry to hear this, poor Minnie! :hugs:hugs

I don't know if you want to do this, but when my sweetie had the impacted crop, she was able to get raw egg down, given it was liquid it would manage to get through the crop into the gizzard. Or, if you have it, Nutridrench (I don't have it here to check atm...so not sure about total calories). But that might keep her well hydrated and fed.

If she had worms quite bad, could the dead worms be backing her up somewhere along the line beyond the gizzard?:idunno

I can understand her reaction to a crop massage - I love massages. What a wonderful and sad way to bond with her.:hugs❤️:hugs

Oh, and funny story to tell from the twin broodies. (Isbe and Rizo)

Rizo had 3 eggs under her! Isbe just laid her egg, and Rizo snatched it. Isbe looked sad (she had no eggs under her)

So i grabbed the egg back from Rizo and put it under Isbe.

Isbe took the egg and stuck her whole neck under Rizo and gave it back, placing it under her, sticking her entire neck under her.
(I have a video of it, to! )

Here are some more pictures of Ezzie's little photoshoot today. I'm hoping and praying hen still, but this super rich red color is worrisome. To be honest, if she is a boy I wish she would just crow and get it over with to set my mind at ease. I mean, it's not like if she crows I am going to get rid of her.
View attachment 3135569
Oooooh, that third pic,
:love :love :love
Ezzie looks like...

dant ta da....Super Hen! With her 'concealing mask' and the stance/pose...All she needs now is a small scarf that will flow behind her as she flies! (Think superman meets the lone ranger meets the red baron!)

Back
Top Bottom