I'm sad Tina keeps getting told off and not only by the girls. She keeps snatching everyone's food even poor Agathas. Flexi gets really annoyed, so I'm afraid Tina is in the spare coop tonight, I gave her a cuddle and plenty of food with fresh electrolytes water. Maybe she will calm down a little now. Fingers 🤞

Last edited:
Hello everyone.
I have a little question that I'm sure some of you can answer, those who have both chicks and cats in their household.
How do you handle it, do you let the cats come near the chicks or keep them away until the chicks get bigger?

Grochatila and princess Hibou are both very good hunters, unfortunately they love birds ( love as in finding them delicious 😋). They are scared of my standard hens but the chicks mother is a bantam and they are definitely not scared of her.
View attachment 3138675
I can't advise as I've never had tiny ones but I personally wouldn't risk them being alone with them. If anything I would try to introduce them when I was with them in hope they would learn to understand through you that at they should protect them rather than hunt them

Cute cats 😉 😀

Hello everyone.
I have a little question that I'm sure some of you can answer, those who have both chicks and cats in their household.
How do you handle it, do you let the cats come near the chicks or keep them away until the chicks get bigger?

Grochatila and princess Hibou are both very good hunters, unfortunately they love birds ( love as in finding them delicious 😋). They are scared of my standard hens but the chicks mother is a bantam and they are definitely not scared of her.
View attachment 3138675
Our cat is afraud of the chickens...standard size. With the first batch of chicks, we supervized carefully their meetings, and not until chicks were at least 2 weeks old. Multiple people, 2 chicks at a time. The 2nd batch of chicks, we started the outside exposures much younger and had an odd number of chicks. With the last 3 to go outside, we took the 2 smallest and the largest together. Cheetah was one of those. Sadly the other 2 didn't make it to adulthood (not because of the cat). The trio managed to get away from us and hid in the Siberian pea tree hedgerow. Once they got hidden, they went silent too. Castor was hanging back, curious but giving WIDE space to them. He fit better into the hedge than we did, so we encouraged him to go looking for the littles (less than a week old). By careful watching of both him and areas babies were in, we found and caught them. None were harmed then and Castor didn't get close enough to do more than sniff them. Since then all babies have been either raised by broody or inside and moved into the coop at the earliest possible opportunity. The ones raised by broodies have generated some curiosity in the cat, but he stays a respectful distance away from the babies with the rest of the flock keeping watchful eyes on him. The occassional visit by other cats generates a persistent alarm squawk for a human to come deal with it. The most notable was Silver, the lead hen out watching the cat closely while Rusty, my Jersey giant Roo (RIP) who was almost 13 pounds (dunno kilo conversion) came up to the open kitchen window to echo her call for help rousting the cat and sending it home.

All this to say it depends upon the cats and the chickens. If the broody banty is with a flock/tribe, then chicks are likely safe. with 2 cats, they could pull a distract/attack manoeuvre and get a baby. if the mama has intimidated them in the past, then likely will again. supervised introductions would be the route I would take, but much depends upon all animals involved.

Here is a mugshot for Monday. Diana.

47F583DE-D874-4D2C-844E-AE4EB8CE4CB7.jpeg

I'm sad Tina keeps getting told off and not only by the girls. She keeps snatching everyone's food even poor Agathas. Flexi gets really annoyed, so I'm afraid Tina is in the spare coop tonight, I gave her a cuddle and plenty of food with fresh electrolytes water. Maybe she will calm down a little now. Fingers 🤞
Poor Tina! She is just expressing herself 💖

He was still stiff and in pain this morning. He had 60c of arnica first thing this morning then after 2 hours he had milk thistle tea later he had his breakfast then a walk. I'm ever so relieved to say his pain seems too have eased a lot after he got home and he's even better tonight.

I don't know if it's the arnica milk thistle or both because they both work as anti inflammatory. I rub the gel into him at night, he loves that. I think he's over the worst for now ❤

Thank you for your support :hugs :love
Awwww 🤗 glad he rallyed, even a bit of a walk helps and massages are awesome 💖💖 💖💖💖💖

Back
Top Bottom