Did you find Walda.. I mean Misty? Hope all is well.
Yep! She is hiding behind Mr P - she is also white. And yep Misty was up on the door.

I figured I would just leave the silkies roosting where they were. Tomorrow I will definitely do something to make the roost more silkie friendly and safe.

It's Coop Fixing Time

I obtained new plywood for the roof of the coop today. 2 sheets cost as much as all the materials I bought when I built the coop, sans the window. It is crazy what wood costs these days.

20221105_184018.jpg

I will be starting early tomorrow since i have to get the new roof in place in time for them to sleep and there is more involved than just replacing the roof.

First of all the birch tree is dying. The front fork has died completely this year and needs to come done. You can see a piece of it broken off but still hanging in the tree.

20221105_102041.jpg

This makes me very sad. I love that tree. On a good note, I think I have a replacement growing right next to it.

20221105_102223.jpg

Once I remove the current roof, I will remove the floor and bring in the ladder to cut down the dead portions of the tree. That is going to take some time.

I am also going to rework the roosts by splitting the main roosting bar into 2 sections. This will prevent any hen from "running the roost" and knocking everyone off of it.

I am going to reevaluate the ventilation in the coop as well just to make sure there isn't a better way to do it. I really don't remember what I did when I built it.

It's going to be a big day. Hopefully I can get it all done by dusk.

Last edited:
It's Coop Fixing Time

I obtained new plywood for the roof of the coop today. 2 sheets cost as much as all the materials I bought when I built the coop, sans the window. It is crazy what wood costs these days.

View attachment 3313892

I will be starting early tomorrow since i have to get the new roof in place in time for them to sleep and there is more involved than just replacing the roof.

First of all the birch tree is dying. The front fork has died completely this year and needs to come done. You can see a piece of it broken off but still hanging in the tree.

View attachment 3313893

This makes me very sad. I love that tree. On a good note, I think I have a replacement growing right next to it.

View attachment 3313894

Once I remove the current roof, I will remove the floor and bring in the ladder to cut down the dead portions of the tree. That is going to take some time.

I am also going to rework the roosts by splitting the main roosting bar into 2 sections. This will prevent any hen from "running the roost" and knocking everyone off of it.

I am going to reevaluate the ventilation in the coop as well just to make sure there isn't a better way to do it. I really don't remember what I did when I built it.

Oh my lots and lots of work! Having recently recovered from a broken ankle I can’t help but say please be careful.

Oh my yes the wood 🪵 holy Hannah it’s gone up. We scrounged every piece of wood we could find in the garages to make our coop. Repurposing was absolutely necessary thanks the increase in costs, hardware cloth is also painfully high.

Happy building, I can’t wait to see the progress!

Bookmarking for later use
Regarding ground rods. If you have your ground rod relatively close to a building or semi-protected spot, people will dump water around ground rod to keep soil moist. Also, if ground is very rocky/gravely/sandy, if you can use an auger/post hole digger, and put some peat and decent soil in auger hole, then drive rod, it will help 'some' with retaining moisture/being effective regarding electricity. It does need to 'pull' from an area, so just the 8-9" diameter hole filled with decent moisture retaining soil alone won't 'fix' the issue of dryness, but will go a long ways to helping, especially if you dump water on area regularly (as needed)

It's Coop Fixing Time

View attachment 3313892

View attachment 3313893

View attachment 3313894

Wow, that sounds like a LOT of work. Will you have any help? Dad maybe? or a close, helpful neighbor? Would make the multiple jobs you have to get done a bit easier.!

Wish you the best in completing everything in time!:fl

Wow, that sounds like a LOT of work. Will you have any help? Dad maybe? or a close, helpful neighbor? Would make the multiple jobs you have to get done a bit easier.!

Wish you the best in completing everything in time!:fl
I will be working alone tomorrow. Mrs BY Bob has gone to see Eve.

Back
Top Bottom