My Farmstead is nothing special! I would rather have neighbors half a mile away rather than not having any neighbors for 8 miles ( I think ) I don't know exactly how large the run is, but I do know that it is large enough. It is a big rectangle. They do sleep in the run. They have a large, raised wooden box that they can sleep in. That was the best my dad could get to a coop. I like it though. I'm not sure the chickens think so though😅🙄 The plan was for the big coop to be done by February, but I'm not sure that is going to happen. I hope it is though. My dad works 6 days a week, and is hardly home.
I may have a better picture of BBQ. RIR's used to be my favorite breed. They are still up there though.

Is this picture good enough? The picture is from a while back. The run is not that dirty, I promise.
View attachment 3364201
As rural mouse and others have pointed out, she is RIR or RIR mix.

I'd probably let them be there for now until the better coop is built.

I consulted the guidebook while waiting for the water to boil for tea.
In good news, I know my RIRs!
In bad news I am completely befuddled by Leghorns.
I can recognize one like Daisy (GHE), and I know that several of you have ones that are red with gold around their necks, though I am not sure I could recognize those as Leghorns without being told.
But the guidebook tells me that Leghorns can also be (and I quote): black, buff, cuckoo, blue, golden duckwing, silver duckwing, exchequer, black mottled, red mottled and partridge.
Are those all colors?! At least partridge and cuckoo are actually birds and duckwing sounds like it should be!
:idunno
Those are all colors. Duckwing refers to the wing. If you think about Mallards, they have a blue band across their wings. Most domesticated ducks have mallard in their ancestry and keep the band and/or the different color at the tip. In chickens, if the tip is a different color, it's called duckwing (and has several color variations). Exchequer is exclusive to the leghorns and looks much like Val's Anconas. Partridge is the chevrons on the feathers if the bird is red and black. If the bird is silver and black, it's penciled (Pear is partridge, Primula is penciled, both have the chevrons). Blue would be Storm, Lark, and Indigo, but L&I have gold bleeding through on their heads. I dunno what the term for that is supposed to be called. All of the color variations on a breed should still keep the same body build, so the assorted leghorn colors while changing the feather patterns, should have the same profile/shadow. Not sure what the difference is between black mottled and exchequer other than most of the pics I saw, the black appears to be mostly black with a few white areas or more splotchy than the exchequer. Red mottled look like very patchy red-orange-buff and white. (At a guess, both the mottled varieties are fairly new to the breed and could stand some refinement)

3ED7E0BF-79E0-42FC-B69D-5CE19F3F3922.jpeg
Its a foggy cloudy morning. Summer is in the nest box laying
9250CD0F-AB55-4674-A7F5-C68D47B0B9E2.jpeg
98E1F0D8-BC35-4732-B6EA-C70F9082CB0E.jpeg
F627245F-ED19-4120-A063-7308339A4EF1.jpeg
6D69EFF7-BBFF-418C-9BBF-3AFCB70DB309.jpeg
72624C56-9BA6-4234-B310-15392A8E821A.jpeg
8D7A4851-4F4A-4481-B6C2-E92AEAD1D960.jpeg

Those are all colors. Duckwing refers to the wing. If you think about Mallards, they have a blue band across their wings. Most domesticated ducks have mallard in their ancestry and keep the band and/or the different color at the tip. In chickens, if the tip is a different color, it's called duckwing (and has several color variations). Exchequer is exclusive to the leghorns and looks much like Val's Anconas. Partridge is the chevrons on the feathers if the bird is red and black. If the bird is silver and black, it's penciled (Pear is partridge, Primula is penciled, both have the chevrons). Blue would be Storm, Lark, and Indigo, but L&I have gold bleeding through on their heads. I dunno what the term for that is supposed to be called. All of the color variations on a breed should still keep the same body build, so the assorted leghorn colors while changing the feather patterns, should have the same profile/shadow. Not sure what the difference is between black mottled and exchequer other than most of the pics I saw, the black appears to be mostly black with a few white areas or more splotchy than the exchequer. Red mottled look like very patchy red-orange-buff and white. (At a guess, both the mottled varieties are fairly new to the breed and could stand some refinement)
My first reaction is
Losing My Mind Illustration GIF by VALS

My second is that it would help me if you sometimes gave me the official color/breed when posting a chicken picture. I think I am a visual learner.

We are close to the source of my mass confusion about breeds .... Not all breeds come in all colors right?
Clearly Leghorns come in lots of colors (per the guide), and I know Orpingtons come in several colors. But it looks like RIR only come in one color.
What about others? Are there silver duckwing barred rocks for example?

I consulted the guidebook while waiting for the water to boil for tea.
In good news, I know my RIRs!
In bad news I am completely befuddled by Leghorns.
I can recognize one like Daisy (GHE), and I know that several of you have ones that are red with gold around their necks, though I am not sure I could recognize those as Leghorns without being told.
But the guidebook tells me that Leghorns can also be (and I quote): black, buff, cuckoo, blue, golden duckwing, silver duckwing, exchequer, black mottled, red mottled and partridge.
Are those all colors?! At least partridge and cuckoo are actually birds and duckwing sounds like it should be!
:idunno
@rural mouse 's pear is a partridge colour. It is brown with multiple 'lacing' layers of black, making it look almost like chevrons.

Murray McMurray Hatchery - Partridge Rocks

Murray McMurray Hatchery - Partridge Rocks

@rural mouse : I was only going to give her one color at a time - so she can digest & identify that color :lau Nice job with the explanations, though. 👍 You and @ChicoryBlue do great, thorough jobs with thoughts & explanations!!❤️❤️❤️

Back
Top Bottom