I talked to a bunch of people on the way home. Some people said they don't care because the chickens were biting their bracelets (at least they didn't get bitten on the finger like me by a hen!) And others said that they felt bad for the birds. I talked to my advisor, and she agreed with me. She said that it was pure animal abuse, simply because the hens only get a square foot for themselves, and they need to be vaccinated. Then no one cares about them or for them anymore. I was glad some people agreed with me. Someone I am close to was there, and she said it was COMPLETE animal abuse. She has over 200 chickens, so she was furious about it.
You do realize most commercial meat operation raise batches of about 10k birds per barn/batch? Now, I am not arguing animal welfare… except to say maybe “Hey, that’s MY Soapbox!” I survive off of sustainable ethical meat and egg production (which barely breaks even… lol). I 100% agree commercial poultry practices are wrong. However WHAT is the root cause of this?

The demand for cheap eggs and meat. Did you know the retail price of ground beef has hardly changed in over 14 years? It’s gone up perhaps $0.50 per kg. Meanwhile cost of living, taxes, and wages have all increased. Farmers have been left behind. Without government subsidies there would be no food, because the farmers couldn’t afford to produce it. There’s a whole lot of math and economics behind this, but basically what we have is a broken economy, and a food system that doesn’t adequately respect animals because the consumer is only willing or able to pay a very small amount for those animal products, regardless of the actual cost of producing that food. So ALL the animals (and small farmers) suffer because of this. My meat birds sell for about $30 each, because of quality and people who value the ethical production. Last year I actually lost money on them, but the market probably wouldn’t have borne the cost of even a small profit.

I have a lot of interest in food history, how the Industrial Revolution has had an impact on farming and food, as well as things like the World Wars (rationing etc) and Great Depression. Only through looking at the history of our food systems and comparing it to the modern one we find ourselves in, can we appreciate the bigger picture. And don’t get me started on being Vegan to “save the animals” lol.

It all boils down to Supply and Demand. We need to focus on changing the demand and making food that was treated ethically financially possible for the average consumers. Through reducing our consumption, actually valuing the products (animals!), and paying people adequately to be able to meet their basic needs. Some nutritional components of our diet are most available through animals products… so let’s value and respect those animals fully!

Taxes soon… it’s raining! The white stuff is melting. I can photograph some muddy chickens again 🤣

Can't wait to see them! When are you heading out? Has your Visa come through?

work tax
hahaha love this photo - always makes me laugh - Poor Mr P :)
View attachment 3419339
Still waiting for my visa. Work tax. One naked neck and four silky crosses.
20230227_144056.jpg

Note, I am speaking about TSC and Farm Feed Stores in my local area, I can't speak to those in other states nor parts of the country.

Tractor Supply does NOT grind up the unsold baby chicks/ducks in Mass., it is illegal. Most stores sell them at a deep discount to local farmers. I know 2 of my local stores do for sure! (I have been a recipient of inexpensive chicks they needed to get rid of - multiple times).

That said, I agree that they aren't given the best, loving accommodations - but they are well fed, watered and given bedding - at least all the farm stores around here. Allowing them to be sick/dehydrated and die does not serve their bottom line, and most employees, even if not overly informed about chickens in particular, are ones that do care about animals. Even farmers that think of chickens merely as 'livestock' would not intentionally let them be dehydrated, etc. While they are 'replaceable', that is a significant investment, and one that a store or a farm wouldn't want to lose to merely lack of food or water. Remember that the store had already paid for them.

From what I have read at reputable sites is that HATCHERIES do this to 'extra' baby roosters - the sad outcome of many people purchasing pullets (hens) only, given the roughly 50/50 hatch rate of pullets/cockerels.

A few forward thinking hatcheries have developed relationships with local farms that take the 'extra' baby roosters to raise for meat. They at least gets a decent life for a few months. I was approached by a local farmer to see if I would raise 100 cockerals for 5 months, then he would buy them back to sell. (He got them through the Amish & Mennonites that bought them from local hatcheries for pennies.)

The 'disposal' of 'extra' roos in the manner described does happen - it is up to us to encourage and find more humane alternatives. Again, given the 50/50 hatch rate, and the number of people that can only have hens, it is a real problem. Finding a better solution for all involved is a challenge we should all think about!

Righteous Baby Talk Tax:View attachment 3419317View attachment 3419318:oops: Sorry for my Soap Box talk.
animation soap GIF by suna☁️

I'll put the stool/soap box away, now.:oops:
Don’t forget the pet food industry and frozen baby chicks… and ground cockerels (yes bad, awful… I agree) go into pet food etc… so if you are feeding your Pet dog a quality kibble with Chicken as a Main ingredient…

Don’t forget the pet food industry and frozen baby chicks… and ground cockerels (yes bad, awful… I agree) go into pet food etc… so if you are feeding your Pet dog a quality kibble with Chicken as a Main ingredient…
This is true. On the bag they show roasted chickens that look like thanksgiving dinner, and pretty vegetables. Lol.

This is true. On the bag they show roasted chickens that look like thanksgiving dinner, and pretty vegetables. Lol.
It’s a very complicated situation economically and socially speaking, just like meat, eggs, and dairy in general… there are less moral aspects when you start talking about vegetables, foraging, victory gardens and such. It’s my primary soapbox… has been for years! 😂 now having worked in poultry processing (in actual slaughterhouses) and more recently in production/farming theres a portion of the inedible offal that is not for human consumption going into the pet food industry (at least the plants I work in it is raw pet food) but…

It’s a very complicated situation economically and socially speaking, just like meat, eggs, and dairy in general… there are less moral aspects when you start talking about vegetables, foraging, victory gardens and such. It’s my primary soapbox… has been for years! 😂 now having worked in poultry processing (in actual slaughterhouses) and more recently in production/farming theres a portion of the inedible offal that is not for human consumption going into the pet food industry (at least the plants I work in it is raw pet food) but…
I think it’s a positive thing that things like offal get used in pet food rather than wasted, as it has nutritional value, but humans won’t eat it.
I just wish food animals were treated better and could be dispatched humanely.

Our EEs are the worst for going broody and they do it in pairs, lol. Still yet to have a broody Silky but maybe one of the young Silky crosses will be a broody girl.
One day when you least expect it and it is the most inconvenient for you. Your silkie is going to go broody, and be relentless and unbreakable.

Oh yes indeed.
I have no issue with cockerels being used for meat as long as they live good (short) lives and are slaughtered humanely.
I have more issues with the conditions of laying hens.
Weirdly one of my cats is allergic to chicken so mine live off venison and rabbit.
What I cannot fathom is why there isn’t mouse flavored cat food. I could supply a small production plant from my garage alone!

Oh yes indeed.
I have no issue with cockerels being used for meat as long as they live good (short) lives and are slaughtered humanely.
I have more issues with the conditions of laying hens.
Weirdly one of my cats is allergic to chicken so mine live off venison and rabbit.
What I cannot fathom is why there isn’t mouse flavored cat food. I could supply a small production plant from my garage alone!
There is! One of my local pet stores carries it :) they have at least 4 kinds.
https://www.muridaepet.com/mouser-pet-food

Back
Top Bottom