Those of you who are suffering through very high temperatures may be interested in this academic article. It is from a study in India on the use of aspirin in broiler chickens to reduce heat stress.
They found positive effect on markers of heat stress by giving the chickens 250mg/kg or 500mg/kg of aspirin.
Usual caveats - these were broilers so long term effects not studied (though there are plenty of other studies to say aspirin is safe to use in chickens) and the conditions were hot and dry (no reason to believe humidity would change the outcome, but it wasn't tested).
https://www.researchgate.net/public...hnical_molecular_and_physio-biochemical_tools

I took the lower right hand curd and it felt very firm. I opened it some and it was crumbly, in fact the very center was rather dry, with tiny crumbles. This is a bunch of tumor nodules? Or a sort of lash egg?View attachment 3619218
Is this actually pus from somewhere, indicating infection? Salpingitis?
Although not exactly classic lash egg, I do think the curd you dissected looks like pus. That could be from salpingitis or maybe infection in the gut itself given her other symptoms.
Infected pus could also be secondary to another lesion like a tumor. It is hard to rule out although an X-ray may be able to spot something.
Poor girl.
@BY Bob is the expert on antibiotics if you can access any - but if you were to try and treat her then a broad spectrum antibiotic would be best as you don't know the nature of the organism.

Found this poop today soon after letting them out of the run, didn’t see who made it, I think Butters, I did a float test yesterday because she pooped in front of me and found nothing of note except two tiny red strands that I think are blood tissue, like tiny capillaries maybe. So I basically think Butters did this. If you can stomach looking, I’d appreciate your thoughts.

I took the lower right hand curd and it felt very firm. I opened it some and it was crumbly, in fact the very center was rather dry, with tiny crumbles. This is a bunch of tumor nodules? Or a sort of lash egg?View attachment 3619218

She pooped a bit later, passed gas and then this, with no blood. The coop overnight haul showed just the usual looking poops- her lighter green, wet poops with bits of food in it, and other very dark robust regular poops.
View attachment 3619220

I will try to post this in the diseases forum also.
Maybe a lash egg? Thoughts?

Although not exactly classic lash egg, I do think the curd you dissected looks like pus. That could be from salpingitis or maybe infection in the gut itself given her other symptoms.
Infected pus could also be secondary to another lesion like a tumor. It is hard to rule out although an X-ray may be able to spot something.
Poor girl.
@BY Bob is the expert on antibiotics if you can access any - but if you were to try and treat her then a broad spectrum antibiotic would be best as you don't know the nature of the organism.
I need a SHRA tax…

Spot the chicken….

image.jpg

That’s Sue the baby at the back wall snoozing she has been doing this the past few days.

So, I know you all are aware of these points since you are on a chicken forum...but I LOVE the short clip of the video after his last point..

BTW he is a bit off in some of his points, but generally they are mostly correct. I just like the entertainment at the end of the video/clip. every chicken for themselves!!!
He was funny 😆

Back
Top Bottom