Sketch of the run
View attachment 3655423

Below is the West side and where I started the trench. Partial there because I wanted to save my energy to do the North side. Very hard work, cutting into shale, but that it was raining helped - it makes the stones easier to dig into, and then I could see the muddy water move and clear water entering the trench. I had an adze, a shovel and a big long metal pointy thing to pound and break up big stones. I couldn't find our pickax.

Looking North-East, the driveway on the left, opening up to the turn-around /parking lot sort of straight ahead
View attachment 3655175

View attachment 3655175
We just had more shale put on the driveway but not all the flat area beyond, you can see that darker spot is water pooled because it was just raining. The flat area was carved out of the hillside, and a French drain put in where the area meets the base of the hillside.

Continuing around to the North side. I tried to make a little trench out from the run because right in front of the dustbath pool was pretty wet. Water just filled in as I dug, so I stopped for now.
View attachment 3655183

The North-East really wet corner, and the trench meeting the French drain stones. That black pipe is the gutter take-away, just lying there right now. I found water pooling where it met the French drain stones so I thought it could be clogged there and dug into them a good six inches down and a foot in, and then water began draining away.
View attachment 3655180

Closeup on how wet it is there. This spot had the chicken run on it two years ago. I cleared away most of the litter when the next Spring came and I moved the run to the woodsy area. The run now has been there since last October. So the bottom of the new litter has composted and now it's all muddy muck?
View attachment 3655181

As you go around, the East side gets drier further South. The gutter take-away pipe has let out there and that water just goes down into the stones. So thinking the clogged French drain corner was a big part of the problem. I worry or wonder if the trench needs to be bigger and deeper maybe, in case water is flowing through the ground under the shallow trench and could seep up into the run corner? That corner under the predator skirt is mucky, muddy soil and decomposed litter.
View attachment 3655182

Here's the long view looking South more or less (the right side of the run toward the light is West). Water closer to the left side drains south and east, toward the French drain which the dismantled gutter is pointing down at. But where the water in the foreground is, covered by the new shale, I couldn't detect any water motion, but it does seep away eventually. Around where I was standing the water flows more West.
View attachment 3655179

Continue digging the trench, making it deeper, and then fill with stones / gravel? Clear out the muck under the predator skirt, replace with small gravel? What about inside the run, at least in that corner - gravel topped with bricks or pavers, and then litter on top? I'm thinking something easily removed in case that doesn't work well and I need to do something else?
Scattering Hay or woodchips on the really muddy areas can help absorb the moisture and avoid this in the future. Stones or gravel might also be good.
To add: Cute Buff Orpingtons!

Sketch of the run
View attachment 3655423

Below is the West side and where I started the trench. Partial there because I wanted to save my energy to do the North side. Very hard work, cutting into shale, but that it was raining helped - it makes the stones easier to dig into, and then I could see the muddy water move and clear water entering the trench. I had an adze, a shovel and a big long metal pointy thing to pound and break up big stones. I couldn't find our pickax.

Looking North-East, the driveway on the left, opening up to the turn-around /parking lot sort of straight ahead
View attachment 3655175

View attachment 3655175
We just had more shale put on the driveway but not all the flat area beyond, you can see that darker spot is water pooled because it was just raining. The flat area was carved out of the hillside, and a French drain put in where the area meets the base of the hillside.

Continuing around to the North side. I tried to make a little trench out from the run because right in front of the dustbath pool was pretty wet. Water just filled in as I dug, so I stopped for now.
View attachment 3655183

The North-East really wet corner, and the trench meeting the French drain stones. That black pipe is the gutter take-away, just lying there right now. I found water pooling where it met the French drain stones so I thought it could be clogged there and dug into them a good six inches down and a foot in, and then water began draining away.
View attachment 3655180

Closeup on how wet it is there. This spot had the chicken run on it two years ago. I cleared away most of the litter when the next Spring came and I moved the run to the woodsy area. The run now has been there since last October. So the bottom of the new litter has composted and now it's all muddy muck?
View attachment 3655181

As you go around, the East side gets drier further South. The gutter take-away pipe has let out there and that water just goes down into the stones. So thinking the clogged French drain corner was a big part of the problem. I worry or wonder if the trench needs to be bigger and deeper maybe, in case water is flowing through the ground under the shallow trench and could seep up into the run corner? That corner under the predator skirt is mucky, muddy soil and decomposed litter.
View attachment 3655182

Here's the long view looking South more or less (the right side of the run toward the light is West). Water closer to the left side drains south and east, toward the French drain which the dismantled gutter is pointing down at. But where the water in the foreground is, covered by the new shale, I couldn't detect any water motion, but it does seep away eventually. Around where I was standing the water flows more West.
View attachment 3655179

Continue digging the trench, making it deeper, and then fill with stones / gravel? Clear out the muck under the predator skirt, replace with small gravel? What about inside the run, at least in that corner - gravel topped with bricks or pavers, and then litter on top? I'm thinking something easily removed in case that doesn't work well and I need to do something else?
The bigger picture seems like your setup is in a valley with hills on each side and the run is in a flood zone 🤔. Maybe if possible, build your structure higher up the hill, or build some sort of wall around your complex, channeling the water out and away from the run. I realize your substrate shale is hard to break up and dig into. Try to find that pick axe ⛏️

The bigger picture seems like your setup is in a valley with hills on each side and the run is in a flood zone 🤔. Maybe if possible, build your structure higher up the hill, or build some sort of wall around your complex, channeling the water out and away from the run. I realize your substrate shale is hard to break up and dig into. Try to find that pick axe ⛏️
:goodpost:

A whole lot of Monday Mugs!
20231009_075503.jpg

20231009_080853.jpg

20231009_080901.jpg

20231009_080928.jpg

20231009_080945.jpg

20231009_081051.jpg

20231009_081349.jpg

20231009_081034.jpg

And preening mugs!

I would not give molasses as that may cause runny stools. My chooks are having runny stools for the past month or so, and I am sure it’s because everyone is now in some sort of stage of moulting.

I don’t worry about poops being different as long as I don’t see parasites in it or blood, also if they are behaving normally and have normal crops I don’t worry.

Of instance over the past few years I have noted the Sophia gets runny watery poops and a soft crop when she is moulting. I make sure she is eating well and she is active. The first year she moulted here she was really poorly, I was giving her scrambled eggs to get her to eat.
@Marie2020 I agree with Ponypoor

Beautiful colours and patterns. Shan shines like gold.
How are you coping now :hugs ?

Mugs Monday. It's 28c, sky has been clear blue for days, and the sun burns so much it's impossible to get out of the shade. I’m wishing for rain, fog and dead leaves.

Merle
View attachment 3655395
Tiny but mighty Théo
View attachment 3655396
Lulu loves mugs.
View attachment 3655397
Closer.
View attachment 3655398
Laure has the biggest comb and wattles of all my hens , at 21 weeks... but her feathers are very girly, so it's likely just one of those big red flashy comb girl ?
View attachment 3655399
Gaston, sweet rooster..Molting badly..and upset that Piou-piou and Merle are leaving him for Théo and Lilly for Pied Beau. He likes the four pullets though and they like him too !
View attachment 3655408
I love Théo‘a comb it’s very unique, and Laure is beautiful, yes I would say a lovely young lady 💕

Everyone looks wonderful.

I’ll send you some fog, rain and dead leave.

Mugs

View attachment 3655387Little Tuff, obviously Horus' offspring, via either Maizie or Pippa. He's been vigilant, but quiet since Zulu was grabbed. Hoping he keeps his mother's personality traits. (Havoc behind him).

View attachment 3655388Whiskey, lots of pins around the ears. Based upon the fluff/slightly rumpled look of the rest of him, he's got pins all over. Has been maintaining distance from everyone.

View attachment 3655389Nellie, rumpled but alert. Her new tail feathers poked through yesterday, giving her weather vane back. She's definitely feeling better, so closing in on the end of her moult.

View attachment 3655390Pear, looking smashing!

View attachment 3655391Shan....oh, you beauty!

View attachment 3655392Jessica, also a stunner.
Pear's feathers have double black chevrons, really great. Is that the "partridge" marking?

Back
Top Bottom