I could do with some reassurance, advice and comforting words about Sylvie.
She is no longer broody. I think she realized she wasn't very good at it and gave up. I am certain she is not broody. She is off the nest all day and is not making that bok-bok-bok sound continuously.
But, she is still sleeping in the nest box. And now that she isn't broody, she is also pooping in the nest (which worries me as she might get a messy bum which is not great in this weather).
First I thought she was just coming out of being broody and was in the habit so I let it slide.
Then I thought I would take her off the nest in the night and put her on a roost. But she raced out as soon as I reached for her and ended up at the far end of the Pentagonists roost and she looked miserable all night.
This evening I flushed her out and blocked the entrance to the nest boxes - but she pushed over my barrier and is back in the nest box.

The issue is her BFF, Piglet.

Piglet is being really mean to her. Ever since she went broody Piglet has been gunning for her. I posted before that they were all being a bit mean to Sylvie while she was broody but now it seems Piglet has a real grudge against her.
I feel so bad for Sylvie - she is really below the bottom of the pecking order now.

So what to do? Should I let the nest box sleeping slide and just hope she doesn't get really messy. I don't relish trying to bathe Sylvie - she is flighty and fast and as you have seen she can fly!
I would like to put her on a roost next to Babs who won't be so mean to her - but she is impossible to catch from the nest box at night because she can either see in the dark or knows her way around that she feels confident shooting out of the box in the dark.
I am traveling again next week so I will have to let it be for a week but I am feeling anxious about the whole thing as well as upset at Piglet for being so mean!
My gang have taken to sleeping in the nestboxes when they feel like it, ever since Peanut wasn't feeling well, and then Butters being so skinny. Its all soft hemp in there. A nice thick layer. Hazel and Popcorn, or one of the Buckeyes (probably Hazel) and a Spud.

Doesn't cause poopy butts imo. Even if poops are runny, I think it's the feather and vent situation in the back more than pooping on a flat surface. If the material in the nest box is nice and absorbent and thick enough it shouldn't be a problem. The chopped hemp here tends to clump it all together when it's moist. So it's not hard to clean out. I do the nestbox along with the poop tray and any on the roost platform each day.

Poor Sylvie, there's nothing you can do to affect pecking order, so I'd say just stand aside and watch (or not!). Maybe sneak her a few treats or feed on the side, like a rooster that favors her.

If she wants to be in the nestbox, it must be a comfort to her, or she is still half-broody, or something. She's quite determined; seems like she needs it. So I say don't fight it. You can take comfort in that she finds it good in there, it meets her needs. Safe, unbothered, probably less draft. Good wifi in there?

Chicken pics: IMG_3697.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom