Can I ask a question?

What is the ‘Mason Dixon Line’??
It is the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania. It was surveyed by Mason and Dixon. One of their apprentices on the job was George Washington.

It was the eastern delineation between those states that left the Union and joined the Confederacy during the American Civil War. It is considered the border between the North and the South.

Geography/History Tax
20240102_163522.jpg

Did I forget to hit post? I wrote this Tuesday.

Hey there! Thought there'd been a break thru today. Meanie was out in the run, dustbathing her little heart out, with Tres ignoring her completely. Ran to my house to get my phone, and...View attachment 3717430back inside, hiding. :confused:

Here's the big boy-o. He's turning into a fine looking fella, if nothing else. View attachment 3717431
Oh wow! BEAUTIFUL ❤️❤️❤️

Technically... maybe. If following the 4/10 sf/bird (coop/run) rule of thumb, I have room for 4 more. But this group is getting along well now, and I don't want to upset the balance.

I think we will be awash in eggs this summer, and I'm looking forward to harvesting some excellent run compost this spring.
BUTTTTT...next fall when these current ones molt...not so much. Having chicks hatch anytime late March through late April will mean they will start laying in the fall when the others take a break......so, having one of your hens hatch and raise chicks - so they get integrated from day one - would actually be a GREAT thing.:D:D:D

No, I'm not enabling, nope, not at all!:oops:

Ugh why?! It’s wet and cold and dreary…

The horses don’t like it, the chooks hate it… Kelly detests it…..
Cuz we practically never get snow but when/if we do it truly brings joy like nothing else!! I can’t even begin to describe the joy it brings! Love, love, love it!!

BUTTTTT...next fall when these current ones molt...not so much. Having chicks hatch anytime late March through late April will mean they will start laying in the fall when the others take a break......so, having one of your hens hatch and raise chicks - so they get integrated from day one - would actually be a GREAT thing
Yeah, true. I was going to add 3 this last spring, and ended up with 5, which put me at the limit of my comfort zone. I'll water glass a bunch of eggs over the summer to help with the dearth next fall/winter. Hubby doesn't like them (the yolk always breaks, so no over easy eggs), but they'll be fine for me.

I'm being realistic that by next year, 2025, I might need some replacements due to chicken lifespans.

Cuz we practically never get snow but when/if we do it truly brings joy like nothing else!! I can’t even begin to describe the joy it brings! Love, love, love it!!
Same- we don’t get much snow in the city, so the one day it does fall each year is soo special! We play out there till we drop 😊

Speaking of, there’s snow in the forecast 🕺🏾 They are, however, also warning of a potential for temps wildly lower than the area has ever seen 🥶… are chickens okay when it’s -2F out?!

I know I only just added a surprise pullet to my flock in December, but I can’t get my mind off of Spring chicks! I have done so much breed/breeder research, and finally got to complete this order yesterday: Six cute little fluffers headed my way come March!!

I’ll only be able to keep two, but Future-Juliette can worry about that detail.

28CFA260-8205-4C74-9A8D-57D9FA69EDBD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom