Happy Valentines Day

No new photos today, but I give you the Royal couple

BB8C41FB-3175-42CD-8C7F-C8B5EFEA4C71.jpeg
791F0459-0AE1-477D-89E4-DDC22423D9CF.jpeg

Guess he wasn’t too keen on my attention given to them!

No love today…

Between Sharpie and Penelope. The two of them got into a brawl, Sharpie won, which made Penelope go off on a spree of beating up on the others. I have never seen Penelope pecking and beating on the others.

I fact my original gang of Whiskers, Misty and Dorothy just stood back and were astonished by her behaviour.l, they where just standing stock still not moving eyes on her, I am sure they were wondering what was going on.

Mr P came over did his little dance - she and him got into a bit of a scuffle which I am sure Mr P was not expecting, but he didn’t back down and they both stopped, he did his dance again and herded her away from everyone and she calmed down then. It was a very interesting interaction to observe and see how Mr P handled things.

Observation for the group:
1) Mr P has absolutely no use or interest in my niece’s old hens, in fact will chase Raven and Larry away. He has ignores Sharpie and Red.

2) There seems to be sub groups forming, my original gang will have some of the School Chicks hanging out with them, Sophia’s chicks are forming their own flock and bringing in the School Chicks, Ruth seems to to boss there.

3) My niece’s old hens seem to be hanging around with the Azurs, who hang around with the original gang.

3) Mr P really likes Flopsy (Azu), and a few of the School Chicks, and Sue (Sophia chick). I have not seen him breeding Larry but her back looks like she is being bred as it’s dirty like that.

Overall it’s a fluid non-linear flock dynamic happening; Penelope rules most of them, but Raven and her cronies Rule everyone but Penelope.

It’s very interesting!

No love today…

Between Sharpie and Penelope. The two of them got into a brawl, Sharpie won, which made Penelope go off on a spree of beating up on the others. I have never seen Penelope pecking and beating on the others.

I fact my original gang of Whiskers, Misty and Dorothy just stood back and were astonished by her behaviour.l, they where just standing stock still not moving eyes on her, I am sure they were wondering what was going on.

Mr P came over did his little dance - she and him got into a bit of a scuffle which I am sure Mr P was not expecting, but he didn’t back down and they both stopped, he did his dance again and herded her away from everyone and she calmed down then. It was a very interesting interaction to observe and see how Mr P handled things.

1) Mr P has absolutely no use or interest in my niece’s old hens, in fact will chase Raven and Larry away. He has ignores Sharpie and Red.

2) There seems to be sub groups forming, my original gang will have some of the School Chicks hanging out with them, Sophia’s chicks are forming their own flock and bringing in the School Chicks, Ruth seems to to boss there.

3) My niece’s old hens seem to be hanging around with the Azurs, who hang around with the original gang.

3) Mr P really likes Flopsy (Azu), and a few of the School Chicks, and Sue (Sophia chick). I have not seen him breeding Larry but her back looks like she is being bred as it’s dirty like that.

Overall it’s a fluid non-linear flock dynamic happening; Penelope rules most of them, but Raven and her cronies Rule everyone but Penelope.

It’s very interesting!
It's multiple groupings like that which demonstrate the need for multiple roos. One year at a time. You have Bert. Maybe this summer you can keep one of those boys, giving you a roo for each grouping (the ladies will decide which group they're in and those decisions can be fluid also)

It's multiple groupings like that which demonstrate the need for multiple roos. One year at a time. You have Bert. Maybe this summer you can keep one of those boys, giving you a roo for each grouping (the ladies will decide which group they're in and those decisions can be fluid also)
I think you're right, because there are 35 hens at least there, and this is what would happen naturally. It will be interesting to see how Bert comes along (hoping Pony keeps him! :fl )

No love today…

It’s very interesting!
What a good roo Mr. P is! Sharpie challenged Penelope do you think? She wouldn't normally *have* to beat up anyone, that would be the job of her #2. So do you think Raven is her lieutenant? Speculation - getting a challenge might mean she had to demonstrate her top spot to anyone that moved - thus everyone who knew better didn't move a muscle.
Question - Mr. P chases Larry away, but breeds her? Could she be getting dirty from something else?

Thanks (and @Ponypoor too). It's a family member, not me / not here, but yes, really serious and very distressing. 😢

I don't know how much intestinal inflammation / lesions heal. Maybe completely? The gut wall can be "compromised" in active infection (which can lead to other opportunistic infections) so it's at least temporarily damaged. How much permanent damage is done I don't really know. Depends on the extent and length of infection until it's cleared? I imagine that the body's efforts to clear it, & cordon off the inflammation could cause a change in structure like scarring. But I haven''t read or heard specifically that coccidiosis does this. I wonder about it like @BY Bob did 🤔
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8879868/
and https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis-in-poultry/coccidiosis-in-poultry
:hugs

—————-

I’ll have to check out those articles they are intriguing- thanks for posting the links!

What a good roo Mr. P is! Sharpie challenged Penelope do you think? She wouldn't normally *have* to beat up anyone, that would be the job of her #2. So do you think Raven is her lieutenant? Speculation - getting a challenge might mean she had to demonstrate her top spot to anyone that moved - thus everyone who knew better didn't move a muscle.
Question - Mr. P chases Larry away, but breeds her? Could she be getting dirty from something else?
Well I thinkSharpie is just really grumpy because she is moulting, Penelope likely got too close, pushed her away from the feed that they all go gaga over, and then a brawl broke out. I have never seen those hens fighting, infact I rarely see them doing that unless someone is going broody (ya those darn silkies!).
:idunno :th
WTH is with these kiddos all moulting in the winter?! Fluffy and Curly are finishing up moulting thankfully.

I have to say overall my gang is really good and I don’t see fighting at all (again except those naughty broody dingbats).

Back
Top Bottom