So we went out and got better a look. Lots of the feathers appear to be broken off. Almost like they were cut.View attachment 3766338 View attachment 3766336
That looks like damage from mating. Give her time to think about growing them back. Watch the ones that are broken at the skin level to be sure she doesn't get an ingrown feather (think - ingrown hair) If caught early, easy enough to fix with some warm compress and a bit of thumb work to press/push it out (one thumb on either side - think popping a zit...but gentler!)

In the meantime, a chicken saddle will protect the skin and make sure no one pecks the broken feather shafts - at least on her back. Also, if it gets cold, it will provide a bit of 'insulation' against the cold where her skin is exposed.

My 2 cents - I'm sure others will have some good thoughts on this, too.

Last edited:
Petunia

Well she is one expensive chook. But I am glad to did take her in, the Vet felt that she didn’t have an egg in there, she did an X-ray and she didn’t see anything, she thinks what we feel in her abdomen is her gizzard enlarged, she also ran a fecal as Petunia was so nice to give her a juicy sample.

She had Round Worms and Cecal Worms.

The Vet also discussed nutrition with me as she noted several of my hens lay soft or brittle eggs. She told me stop the table scraps, stop the Starter ration, separate the chicks from the Bigs (that likely won’t happen), and look into a different feed, also to put my calcium/oyster shells into a container for them to access rather then feeding it off the floor.

So I was sent home with Panocur wormer for the herd to treat worms; and some Sulpha antibiotics for Petunia. So we shall see what happens.
View attachment 3766000View attachment 3766002
No egg, no mass either. Worms are a good outcome. They can be treated. I say it was worth the money.

Alex made a good point - use some blue cote spray - the broken feathers are from the Roos likely, if she isn’t moulting they won’t grow bacK until she does. Any feathers missing she will grow back

A saddle might protect her from pecks from the others aalso.

I second @Ponypoor and @featherhead007 suggestions of a saddle and using bluekote (this stuff is messy but it does work and it also stains everything in its spray zone, so be cautious about where you are when you spray it as it will also be blue) on any red spots not covered by the saddle.

Here is my best guess for what it’s worth: your roosters were likely the root cause and they were overbreeding her causing feather breakage and red spots. Then the other chickens (who are notorious for pecking red injuries on other birds) are pecking at her injuries compounding the problem. I would think it very likely that once her feathers come back in, all will be well and since the roosters are gone she should be fine going forward.

That looks like damage from mating. Give her time to think about growing them back. Watch the ones that are broken at the skin level to be sure she doesn't get an ingrown feather (think - ingrown hair) If caught early, easy enough to fix with some warm compress and a bit of thumb work to press/push it out (one thumb on either side - think popping a zit...but gentler!)

In the meantime, a chicken saddle will protect the skin and make sure no one pecks the broken feather shafts - at least on her back. Also, if it gets cold, it will provide a bit of 'insulation' against the cold where her skin is exposed.

My 2 cents - I'm sure others will have some good thoughts on this, too.

Gosh we got rid of both roos a while back! At least two months ago. She wasn't nearly that bare even a few days ago. I thought she was looking better. I separated her from the others for now. I don't have any blue spray or saddles. The spray I have is clear and I didn't figure I'd need saddles without roos. :confused: So I'll have to go get some Saturday. Until then, she'll be safe from picking in the small coop.

I have tube fed before and so have several others. I would only do it as a really last resort. Are you sure she isn’t eating when you are not there? Is there a way to give her lots of choice so she can take what she feels like?
I guess we’re not needing last resort measures yet.
She’s not eating any actual chicken food, but will take nearly any kitchen scraps I send her way. If I’m going to be doing this long term, I was hoping to have an easier way to ensure she was getting a balanced diet. For example: protein. We (more often than not) eat vegetarian at home so the only protein she’s getting right now is scrambled egg.
There’s a chance she’s eating when I’m not there, but the result of whatever she is consuming is the same: empty crop and lethargy. 😕

Back
Top Bottom