It's an 8x8 frame. It was for a green house, or maybe a tent, like what vendors have at outdoor shows. It's the "addition" to the run; the original part is 10x10. That has a solid roof, made of polycarbonate panels. Like what they use for green houses, but 83% light transmission. It still gets HOT under there! I'll be using something as a shade cloth in a couple months.

Good to know, what’s the span on your run?

I have been trying to think of the most economical and safest way to put a cover on the run but it’s just so darn expensive. I purposely made it large so they would have lots of room too roam, but now it’s just a huge expense.
Just FYI the curve of my greenhouse frames did not collapse, the legs supporting it did, as they were on a slight lean. Makes me think if you incorporated a curve to your cover supports that would make it stronger. Have you considered trusses, not beams? Can they be made out of weather- resistant material? Finally, what about dividing the span into two eight-foot stretches, would that be cheaper and more manageable?

It's an 8x8 frame. It was for a green house, or maybe a tent, like what vendors have at outdoor shows. It's the "addition" to the run; the original part is 10x10. That has a solid roof, made of polycarbonate panels. Like what they use for green houses, but 83% light transmission. It still gets HOT under there! I'll be using something as a shade cloth in a couple months.
I was wanting to use panels like that for the run but now it’s out of the question, and really my kiddos won’t go outside when it’s cold anyways. They are wimps. And forget about if there is more than a skiff of snow!

So I think I will likely just put some temporary netting over the run.

Just FYI the curve of my greenhouse frames did not collapse, the legs supporting it did, as they were on a slight lean. Makes me think if you incorporated a curve to your cover supports that would make it stronger. Have you considered trusses, not beams? Can they be made out of weather- resistant material? Finally, what about dividing the span into two eight-foot stretches, would that be cheaper and more manageable?
Trusses would be even more expensive. I want to stay away from having posts down the middle of the run, as it is there are 5 large trees running down the middle of the run for shade — that’s why I have the run where it is.

I would like to introduce everyone to the first of the named wee ones.

In honour of the brave and wonderful Sir Jaffar, I would like you all to meet, his namesake, Jaffarra. May she be as brave and lovely as her namesake.

View attachment 3813975
What a lovely tribute. 🥰

Yeah if one of the high ranking hens (samara or morinth) goes broody then I'll consider her. Maybe Shep as she's pretty beloved by everyone, they just don't fight her?
Raising the babies those first two weeks were killer on my OCD so if I can get away with having a hen do all the worrying and fussing I'll be happy haha. Or buy pre started birds.
Hubby is 100% down with getting a Polish hen and rooster. Maybe a trio. I just need to find a breeder near here. And probably later this year or next year of course.
Polish are so much fun!

20200510_171338.jpg

This is very gratuitous and I thank you and the Queen for the kind gesture.
I would like to memorialize Jaffar. Can you share a picture of his bum? I would like to add him to the memorial wall in the run. Being a knight of the realm Aurora feels he has earned it.

No hurry. Whenever you have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom