I need advice
I was hoping to break down the broody jail this afternoon while everyone was out pruning the artemisia, but I have left it in place because I think Sylvie has gone, or maybe is going, broody.
She went into the nest box at 10 this morning and did not come out all day. I kept waiting on her so I could collect eggs. Eventually this afternoon I booted her out and found 21 eggs and one broken one of Tassels.
It took me a while to work out how there could be so many eggs. But then I remembered that the lady who cared for the chickens couldn't get to any eggs on Tuesday because there were two chickens in the nest box when she came, and then she didn't come yesterday.
Anyway, lots of eggs underneath Sylvie.
Sylvie is not as obviously broody as Tassels was. So far no puffing up, (well not more than it takes to completely cover nearly 2 dozen eggs!) and no characteristic bok-bok-bok. But she is not roosting tonight and when I booted her off the nest to gather the eggs, she went straight back in.
So here is where I need advice:
- Is it better to put her in the broody jail now when she has been at it for only 24 hours or so? I am wondering if it will be easier to break her broodiness if I try early on in the process or leave her to sit for a while.
- What should I do about the egg yolk sticking to her undercarriage? Will she preen it off in time (particularly once she snaps out of being broody)? Or do I need to bathe her? Egg is tough to wash off at the best of times so I am not looking forward to trying to wash it off!
Any advice most welcome.
In case it helps on my first question, she laid an egg this morning - I am pretty sure it was part of the clutch she gathered.

Last edited:
I need advice
I was hoping to break down the broody jail this afternoon while everyone was out pruning the artemisia, but I have left it in place because I think Sylvie has gone, or maybe is going broody.
She went into the nest box at 10 this morning and did not come out all day. I kept waiting on her so I could collect eggs. Eventually this afternoon I booted her out and found 21 eggs and one broken one of Tassels.
It took me a while to work out how there could be so many eggs. But then I remembered that the lady who cared for the chickens couldn't get to any eggs on Tuesday because there were two chickens in the nest box when she came, and then she didn't come yesterday.
Anyway, lots of eggs underneath Sylvie.
Sylvie is not as obviously broody as Tassels was. So far no puffing up, (well not more than it takes to completely cover nearly 2 dozen eggs!) and no characteristic bok-bok-bok. But she is not roosting tonight and when I booted her off the nest to gather the eggs, she went straight back in.
So here is where I need advice:
- Is it better to put her in the broody jail now when she has been at it for only 24 hours or so? I am wondering if it will be easier to break her broodiness if I try early on in the process or leave her to sit for a while.
- What should I do about the egg yolk sticking to her undercarriage? Will she preen it off in time (particularly once she snaps out of being broody)? Or do I need to bathe her? Egg is tough to wash off at the best of times so I am not looking forward to trying to wash it off!
Any advice most welcome.
In case it helps on my first question, she laid an egg this morning - I am pretty sure it was part of the clutch she gathered.
If she still laying, she's not fully committed. Booting her off may be enough to break her...then again, she may decide to go all determined instead. Keep the jail available until you know unless it's easy to break down and put up.

Egg: will you be home tomorrow? See if she dust bathes and preens it off. If not, then bathe her with room temp water....you might be able to use a soggy wash cloth and spot soak it instead of full bath ..

My 2 cents.

Last second thirsty pic (was leaving for work this morning)
20240502_072047.jpg
Nellie and Cumulo

If she still laying, she's not fully committed. Booting her off may be enough to break her...then again, she may decide to go all determined instead.

Egg: will you be home tomorrow? See if she dust bathes and preens it off. If not, then bathe her with room temp water....you might be able to use a soggy wash cloth and spot soak it instead of full bath ..

My 2 cents.
Thanks. Yes I am back home. I will boot her off in the morning again and watch her. She did spend a good bit of time preening right at the entrance to the nest before going back in and sitting (on no eggs as I had gathered them all up).
Good idea on wash cloth.

When Widget was thinking of going broody, I took her out of the nest at roost time, put her on the roost, and blocked off that nest. She was out and about the next day, but did finally decide she wanted to sit. It took just two days and nights in the broody breaker crate to convince her to snap out of it.

I think the urge wasn't as strong this time. Maybe because I put her on the roost that night, maybe because it's still spring and cooler? :idunno

Sorry to be a pain, but now you have them why are they still cold and dehydrated?
The warmth thing shuts them up instantly and if they are dehydrated for very long they won’t survive.
It was your comment that they won’t be quiet for a long time that got me worried.
The neighbour that I ordered the Cornish from kept pushing the date for pickup back so much that they are now hogging my only high-capacity brooder. As a result, their setup is not what I'd expected. About 30 (used to be 40) are in the small drawer brooder, and 20 are in a box. The box initially was by the wood stove, and, seeing as I had a cookout if I kept the wood stove on all the time, I had to use a seedling mat. The drawer brooder had a yellow brinsea brooder plate. Unfortunately, I am experiencing many deaths with those, mostly owing to the fact that half of them are undersized and underweight.

They have food, they have water, except for they're so stupid that they jump in and roll around in the water, resulting in them being soaking wet and they start screaming. The water is shallow, except they crawl into the pan and sit down in it. Which brings a lot of yelling.

I'm really disappointed with this chick order. I left a review on the facebook page. According to someone over there, when they got their chicks they had a heat lamp and feed and water. Unlikely. Ten of mine have already died, and there's five more that are likely to follow. I talked to them and they said they'll give me a refund.

The very long and painfully slow process of cleaning up grandma's home has been going on for almost 3 weeks. We cannot get down there every day, more like 2 or 3 days a week. Finally, finally the big front porch is cleaned off. Today me and mom started the process of going through things inside. I brought something home today that makes me smile. I found it in the bottom of a box that had 6 other boxes of expired canned goods piled on top. Who knows when she got this, but, it is now hanging up on my porch.
View attachment 3819135View attachment 3819136
What a wonderful keepsake 🥰 a real treasure to find.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom