With momma, I am hoping for the exact opposite. I worry about her. She is ancient and has started showing signs of having difficulty getting around at times. She had difficulty getting into her roost tree 3 nights ago, it took 3 attempts to get to her spot. Dad commented then that he thought soon she would come up missing. He thinks she will do like one of our old cats did years ago. She started going downhill and wanted outside one evening. She was a indoor outdoor cat and he let her out. We never saw her again. He thinks when it is Momma's time she will go hide and pass and I will never find her. If she is broody and I can find the nest I will give her eggs. That seemed to help her the last 2 years. She would slow down, go broody and when she hatched she was over whatever difficulties she was having at the time.
I had a cat like that. She was ancient and one night she demanded to go out. Last I saw of her was marching off into the darkness.
Miss her.
She was called Pashmina.

With momma, I am hoping for the exact opposite. I worry about her. She is ancient and has started showing signs of having difficulty getting around at times. She had difficulty getting into her roost tree 3 nights ago, it took 3 attempts to get to her spot. Dad commented then that he thought soon she would come up missing. He thinks she will do like one of our old cats did years ago. She started going downhill and wanted outside one evening. She was a indoor outdoor cat and he let her out. We never saw her again. He thinks when it is Momma's time she will go hide and pass and I will never find her. If she is broody and I can find the nest I will give her eggs. That seemed to help her the last 2 years. She would slow down, go broody and when she hatched she was over whatever difficulties she was having at the time.
Oh no! That hen is just so much worry! But we all still love her ♥️

If she is broody I agree with giving her some eggs to brood over. That would definitely slow her down some. Keep her happy 🥰

I have to decide today. With all my emotional turmoil, I have to say Roo or no Roo? Hen-rietta dies, I have no leadership in the tribe. I have been putting off my regularly scheduled programs human stuff. To make things work here at home.
I have a few gardeners who want me to set up their jobs for today

This is one of the issues with having the fire-breathing dragons.
Pooh is too intimidated to go into the nest boxes to lay, so she leaves her eggs in random places. At least this one was easy to see and retrieve.
IMG_6451.jpeg

I hope she did! The alternative is a bit grim.
I said that, because chickens have a terrible habit of choosing stupid places to set and roost. Little Bananas was caught roosting on the ground behind a pile of bales (stupid place). Sally was caught laying her egg in the grass. Even the seasoned Snowfluff set her eggs in the middle of her cage.
I do hope she set in a nest, but I hope she didn't pick a dumb place and suffer for it. At any rate it's better than wandering off and dying.

This is one of the issues with having the fire-breathing dragons.
Pooh is too intimidated to go into the nest boxes to lay, so she leaves her eggs in random places. At least this one was easy to see and retrieve.
View attachment 3826645
How about setting up a temporary box just outside of the main area. Then those who don’t want to face crazy broody bats can lay their eggs in comfort.

Back
Top Bottom