FOAMY EYE- HELP!

CHSchxLady

Chirping
Dec 25, 2020
HELP! whats wrong with my sweet little Peggy. Foamy eyes and looks like a circle at the top corner of her left eye. the top of her crown is the same. Is this contagious? Is she going to be ok??? HELP!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2729.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2729.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 9
She has some pinkeye (conjunctivitis) which sometimes can be a sign of a respiratory disease such as MG or she might have been pecked in the eye. Her comb scab looks like a peck injury. I would clean her eyes with with saline or a wet tissue, and apply a dab of Terramycin eye ointment (from a feed store,) or some plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day.

If you notice any other symptoms of a respiratory disease, such as sneezing, nasal drainage, crackles breathing, gasping, and lethargy, then an antibiotic such as tylosin, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline may be used to treat.

A bubbly/foamy/watery eye can indicate a respiratory infection. Conjunctivitis is a common sign of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG, CRD). I would not suggest treating unless you have a proper diagnosis from a certified veterinarian. If you’re in the USA, call your states university veterinarian or another state’s university veterinarian and they will direct and help you from there. MG is a chronic disease that is incurable, antibiotics can help, but symptoms will return within times of stress. I highly suggest you do not breed from your flock to sell to others as they remain carriers and spread the MG bacteria thru the embryo of eggs, making newly hatched chicks sick and carriers as well. Your bird does not have to have other symptoms for this to be MG. MG can be mild or serious, and to me, this looks mild. Here’s more information about MG: https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-infection-in-poultry

Back
Top Bottom