Foodsaver on sale!

I have the V3485 and love it. Worth every penny and the marinator is great too.

One question for those of you have one of these, is there a trick to making bags from the rolls? My wife and I have a terrible time trying to get the cut end to lay flat to fit it in the slot to get the machine to vacuum or seal. Do you cut the bags well ahead of time and lay them out flat with a weight on them or is there another trick?

I rarely post, but I read all forum messages. I have to jump in with my 2 cents on this product. I wasted my money on 2 of these Food Savers before deciding to bite the bullet and get a quality product. These Food Savers are great if you need to save a PB&J till tomorrow, but for quantity use, a waste of money. As you noted, getting the end in just right takes care, they get too hot and have to cool down for a couple minutes about every 4-6 seals if you're bagging quickly. And, of course, you don't know this until you get the bag in the slot, pull the vacuum and then get the error message, Too Hot! The vacuum seal starts to leak in about 200-250 seals and must be replaced. The bags and rolls are too expensive for the thin material they are. The liquid residue container is too small and fills up quickly when sealing any products with moisture in them and then must be taken out, drained, and reassembled. All minor annoyances you say. Maybe, but they add up to a high frustration level when you are trying to put up 25 or more chickens. I usually do a minimum of 50 at a time. Also, the largest size, 11", would not fit some of the larger X-Cornish that I raise and I ended up having to halve them, which I didn't really want to do. I want whole chickens to bake and roast.
I spent the money on a Weston Pro-2300 and haven't looked back. My neighbor, who also does X-Cornish, and I split the cost of the machine and we each buy our own 3-mil bags. Also, on the Food Saver, be sure the inside of the bag where the seal will be made is dry or I guarantee you will lose the vacuum over time.

Quote:
You just peed in my Cheerios!!!
hit.gif

I was an avid foodsaver user...many many years as we process all of our own meats and veggies. Wife git fed up with the cost of teh bags, switched to the new re-sealable ziplocs and havent looked back. been using them for 2 years with no issues at all!

Back
Top Bottom