For Those That Processed the "Packing Peanuts" from Ideal Poultry

crazyhatlady

Songster
7 Years
Feb 27, 2013
NYS
I am expecting the arrival of 15 Norwegian Jaerhons with "packing peanuts" in 2-3 days. At what age should we have the "peanuts" butchered?

Thank you in advance.

I guess it depends upon what the breed of the packing peanuts are. Most butcher between 12 and 16 weeks.... not much meat but then you don't have to continue spending $$ on feed.

Thank you. My friend and I like making our own stock for soup and then canning it. So i figured they would be good for stock.

I normally discard the peanuts when butchering. Guess I should reconsider. Every extra gram helps the bottom line.
big_smile.png

We got 12 Production Red packing peanuts last year and processed them around 18 weeks. They were okay size but were getting nasty and would attack us when we went in to feed them each day so it was time they went.

I got about 13 production red roos as packing peanuts with my last order from ideal.
grew very slowing and were butchered around 5 months old if i remember correctly. they dressed out better than other non meat birds I raised before though
heres on right before they were butchered

Ive also received barred rock roosters from them before as packing peanuts but I gave those away. Well they were either barred rocks or I think they also sell birds that are some cross between bared rocks and leghorns.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom