Foster chicken unable to stand

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Sandy springs Atlanta Georgia USA
Hello other chicken-lovers! I have a a foster chicken who is in need of help. She cannot stand and we belive it is majorly the right leg. She has a very weak muscle on both legs under the feathered part of her limb. She is eating well and we are packing her water with electrolytes and vitamins. She trys to get up and keeps flapping but she just can't stand properly on her own. The leg is not stiff so I'm not really sure if it's true paralysis. Can anyone help me?

Can you post a video of her?

Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Any idea how old she is?

Marek's disease comes to mind, but let's take a look at the video as well.

Any swelling of the joints, any fluid in the abdomen?

I'd get some B-Complex into her. 1/4 tablet daily.

She's a foster - that's interesting. How does that work? Is she a rescue or was she abandoned? Do you know of any of her "history"?

Can you post a video of her?

Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Any idea how old she is?

Marek's disease comes to mind, but let's take a look at the video as well.

Any swelling of the joints, any fluid in the abdomen?

I'd get some B-Complex into her. 1/4 tablet daily.

She's a foster - that's interesting. How does that work? Is she a rescue or was she abandoned? Do you know of any of her "history"?
I will try and get a good video.
No swelling as far as I can tell, or fluid either.
B-complex? Where can you find that?
And the Fostering thing is an interesting story. Peurto Rico's Humane Society takes in literally any animal that needs help they even have a horse and 3 sheep in tgier possession (Peurto Rico has a lot of wild chickens)
They saw her everyday and realized that she went from being fine to having leg problems, it was like a cycle. So they took her in. In the Humane Society you can foster animals for as long as you like ( A couple days,weeks,months, or even until they get adopted ). We saw her and the rooster she was living with. We noticed that she was separated from him and she was lying down. I asked what was wrong and they explained that she had a lame leg. I told them about the chickens I used to own and gave them some general care tips. I brought up Merrek's desiase as well but then a casually left the inside of the shelter to look at the other animals. The person caring for the hen actually chased me down and brought me to the manager. The manager asked me about Merrek and I explained to her ehay it was but said it could just be a lack of vitamins or calcium and not to worry very much. She then asked me to take the chicken and I agreed to take her until this Friday. So I signed the papers, got everything from them and I had a foster chicken. So yup.
As for her history we know nothing. I'm sorry...

You can get a B complex or super B complex tablet or capsule at any pharmacy or walmart etc, that sells supplements (human ones). You can pop in her beak and let her swallow, or grind or empty it and mix it in a bit of moistened feed. The B's are very safe, you don't need to be concerned about over dosing them, extra will be excreted. If she has not had access to appropriate, quality feed, then deficiencies can happen. I would do that first, see if you get any improvement. And get her on a good balanced feed with 18 -20% protein.

You can get a B complex or super B complex tablet or capsule at any pharmacy or walmart etc, that sells supplements (human ones). You can pop in her beak and let her swallow, or grind or empty it and mix it in a bit of moistened feed. The B's are very safe, you don't need to be concerned about over dosing them, extra will be excreted. If she has not had access to appropriate, quality feed, then deficiencies can happen. I would do that first, see if you get any improvement. And get her on a good balanced feed with 18 -20% protein.
Thanks for the advice, I will get her on that as soon as possible.

Here are some pictures of her improvements. I haven't managed to figure out the videos but hey, this is pretty close.

Attachments

• 20220727_152053.jpg
    20220727_152053.jpg
    608.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220727_112518.jpg
    20220727_112518.jpg
    599.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220726_223725.jpg
    20220726_223725.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220726_223720.jpg
    20220726_223720.jpg