Found our first egg this morning!!!

I got my first egg this week and was so excited. We were watching tv in our bedroom and heard this really loud noise. It was such a ruckus we could hear it inside the house with the windows closed. One of our BR's was in her nest box. It took about 20 minutes, but she got it out and left the box. I went in, and there was this pretty warm brown egg. I was shocked at the size and how perfect it looked, and I even got confused, because it looked exactly like the brown ceramic eggs I put in there. I've gotten 5 eggs since. I thought when pullets started laying they were supposed to be small, mishapen, and lay one every few days til they get in the swing of things. We've gotten a perfect egg every day. I thought maybe the other BR was laying, too, but I've obsessively been watching, and it's only one. We only have the two BR's that are laying age, because we ate the RIR. We have about 80 pullets and cockeriels that won't be laying (or crowing) for a while, though. I'm so proud of Rocket (that's what my son named her as a baby). And all the eggs tasted so yummy! We used one in a muffin mix, and my son said,"That's why the muffins tasted so good." LOL. I could kick myself for getting rid of my BR roo now! Now I know what you guys felt when your hens laid their first eggs. This really is eggciting!!!

Back
Top Bottom