Four week old lethargic turkey poult

Jamesmpatnaude

Hatching
Jun 5, 2018
Hi all, I’ve been using BYC for several years now but I only just made an account. I currently have a turkey poult approximately four weeks old. He’s very lethargic, his crop is empty, he refuses to eat or drink very much of anything, and holds up one of his wings. I checked both wings, there doesn’t seem to be any breaks or injuries. He just had a poop, it looked normal.
He seems very weak and softly peeps every once in a while, walks very slowly if at all and insists on sitting around and sleeping.
He was moved to an outdoor cage late last week from our house, and has been fine up until today. I can’t seem to figure out what’s wrong with him. If I could get any advice on how to help him, I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much

Welcome to BYC. Sorry your poult is sick. Can bring him back inside and keep him in a cage or room that's 80-85 degrees?

Here’s the turkey, and his last poop.
He’s also breathing semi-heavily. He’s now eating a small amount of feed, we aren’t sure what kind of feed it is- it was given to us by the feed store when we purchased the turkey.

He’s currently inside the house, walking around a bit more but still refusing to eat or drink.

Attachments

• E990F3DC-0DDB-44E2-8741-7E796A99E391.jpeg
    E990F3DC-0DDB-44E2-8741-7E796A99E391.jpeg
    598.4 KB · Views: 75
I can order some. Unfortunately I had a chicken die of coccidia around this time last year and none of the feed stores out here carry Corid/amprolium. Is there something I could give the turkey while we wait for the corid to arrive?
Can you take it to a vet?
Do you have any sulfa antibiotics?

Can you take it to a vet?
Do you have any sulfa antibiotics?
The only vet that treats barnyard animals out here has a 150$ pre-charge and that doesn’t include the actual examination and testing. I’m a broke college student and unfortunately can’t afford that. I do have some amoxicillin and some other antibiotic, I’ll have to check.

Back
Top Bottom